Deer Season 2018

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This week a 76 year old client was sent to hospital by a buck. He attacked her in her own backyard. She was feeding him and others, not sure why he attacked but hurt her bad. Broken pelvis. Deer are never hunted here so have zero fear of people.

Number one, don't feed deer during the rut or breeding season. Ever. He attacked her because his brains are fried when it is the rut. Bucks barely even eat and will fight anything or anybody that his sex filled brain cells see as a threat to keep him from passing on his DNA genetic material to the proper female doe reproductive receptacle.

I'm sure she is a nice lady, but that was a dumb thing to do. I hope she heals up and can go back home.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Black powder season is officially over, and Modern firearms season is in. Last few days of black powder were pretty interesting, deer are starting to move really good, Rut is kicking in down here. My grandson and I went this past Thursday and killed a decent buck, we had deer running all around us, he got to see a few young bucks chase the lady's around. Then a bigger body deer hit the field, he said poppa Big deer, normally I would have chosen to pass on this deer, but I knew this was as good a time as any to get a buck on the ground with my grandson. So we smoked him! he tipped the scales at 151 lbs. My grandsons 3rd deer hunt, with 2 deer on the ground.

My son went yesterday afternoon, he said cold fronts moving in, the deer should be on their feet, I told him ought to be a good day, cloudy and overcast. Well, he had this big guy on the ground before dark, tipped the scale at 175 Lbs. I've got 2 curing out In the cooler now, I'll start processing these Sunday, My sons off next week, and Im off thanksgiving week....lots of venison fixin to hit the ground stay tuned.

View attachment 29239

View attachment 29240

View attachment 29241

Really nice deer. Fill up the freezer!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When i was a teenager I worked weekends at a Humane society. One day someone dropped off a baby raccoon their dog killed its mother, I took it and bottle fed. My vet wormed him. The next day when i woke up I could not believe what i found. The whole floor of cage covered in large round worms, I could not believe so many came out of so small a body

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
When i was a teenager I worked weekends at a Humane society. One day someone dropped off a baby raccoon their dog killed its mother, I took it and bottle fed. My vet wormed him. The next day when i woke up I could not believe what i found. The whole floor of cage covered in large round worms, I could not believe so many came out of so small a body

Not just intestinal worms - aren't they the ones that carry a little parasite that, if picked up by things other than them, migrate to the brain and cause death? Or is that possums?
Around here, because raccoons are considered a rabies carrier, if one is brought into the vet or rehab center by someone not licensed (and vaccinated) the animal is instantly put down and tested. "Saving" baby animals is often a death sentence.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Possums carry a parasite that is fatal to horses. Possums often poop in feed troughs or on hay, thus the parasite is transferred. Equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM) is what it is called.

Latest posts