Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yikes! DH went out to feed the animals, and he was collecting eggs, from the chickens & our one turkey hen. He used the reacher to get the turkey egg, in her nest under the nest boxes. As he pulled the egg out, he realized it was attached to the gray head of a King Snake - aka Rat Snake!

I don't know who was more surprised, the snake or DH. :lol: the snake let go immediately, and disappeared. :th

We don't really mind having a King Snake around, because he keeps the rodent population down. DH has actually named him Roy. :gig

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can eat any snake, it will not poison you. I have a deep fear of snakes. Where I live there are only 2 venomous northern copperhead and timber rattlesnake. I spend a lot of time on website for venomous snakes Know your enemy !!!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I installed many large boulders and a river rock dry creek bed and planted many bushes , shrubs and ground covers, this created the perfect environment for snakes. This is the first year that I now have baby / young 2 sub species of the garter snake. They have put in a HUGE dent in the slug, pill bug, and earwig populations. Pest controll at it's finest ! I have seen 6 young snakes this morning sunning themselves on the boulders and rock walkways. :celebrate

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good idea, bobm! I like snakes. Local hawks like snakes, too. They take a lot of our snakes every year.

We've watched young garter snakes emerge from the ground and uncovered a rather large milk snake in the disgraced rose garden this year. Since I don't know of any dangerous snakes in my area, all snakes on my farm are my friends.

Building a good habitat for snakes is not something I'd ever thought of.

Latest posts