Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Now that we are ready to start growing veggies here, on Devonviolet Acres, I thought I would start a journal to track our journey. Today, I thought I would give a "brief" [:hide] history of how we got here. :lol:

We moved to beautiful East Texas a year ago last January, after a six month search for a piece of land, on which to raise animals & veggies, so we can live sustainably in our retirement years.

We moved to Texas in 2014, from York PA, following our DD & her family (after they moved here in 2011). But, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. In 2003, we moved to PA, from Rochester, MN, (where I worked as a nurse, for the Mayo Clinic), to be closer to DD in PA & DS (& his family, in Baltimore, MD). He was an Army nurse, stationed at Walter Reed Army Hospital, in Washington, DC.

In 2007, DS & his family moved to NC, to be closer to his DWs family, after he left service.

When my kids were small, we had lived in Lake Worth, TX (NW Ft Worth), and moved to PA for my ex-husband's job. DD missed TX, so in 2011, she talked her DH into getting a job in Dallas.

So, when DD left PA, to move to TX, that left my dear sweet hubby & I there, with no family. What could we do, but follow DD to Texas? That didn't happen right away though. Health issues kept us longer than we wanted. But by spring of 2014 We prayed & believed God gave us the go ahead to move to Texas. Before we could even list our condo, we had a buyer! And by mid June we were on our way to Texas!
:weee:weee

Long story short, we leased a tiny (600 sq ft) apt near our DD in Dallas & started looking for land with a house on it. Around the end of Oct. We found a beautiful 5 acre wooded lot, with a 2-1/2 year old, (1200 sq ft) bungalow & a couple out buildings, that was within our meager budget.
0307161408-1.jpg

The apartment complex wouldn't let us out of our lease early. :idunno :he :barnie and the mortgage company dragged their feet with closing, so we didn't move in until the first week of January, 2015.

I would have loved to get a vegetable garden in right away, but we had other pressing issues, like: doubling the size of the chicken yard, with 4' woven wire fencing, building a chicken coop & run. Raising chicks from the feed store, learning to take care of 4 Nigerian Dwarf, wethered goats & 2 Maremma LGD puppies, that are now 17 months old.
0926151810-1-1.jpg

Here are our chickens & turkey hen [she came with the property, and yes, she laid about 50 eggs last year] going out to free range. They LOVE to free range. :weee :celebrate
0113161620b.jpg

Here are 2 of our goats browsing on my Floribunda rose trimmings. It was like candy for them. :D

1108151334.jpg

Here are our 2 lovable 100 pound LGDs, Violet (on the left) & Deo (on the right). They do an awesome job guarding our chickens & goats. We haven't lost one chicken, to hawks, owls, racoons or coyote since we moved here & got the dogs. :p

We are still trying to find someone to help us put in a perimeter fence, for about half of the 5 acres, so our goats can start clearing the land, and have started to remodel the poorly designed, tiny kitchen. But, this year, I am determined to get vegetable and herb gardens started. More trees need to come down and fencing streched. But, by crackie, We WILL have a garden this year!!! :plbb

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love your little bungalow! My house is the same sq. footage so I think I'll call it a bungalow too! Sounds so charming. Mine however doesn't have that sweet front porch.

I like how you have started your goats on rose trimmings. It's the gateway drug for goats you know, not that goats need a gateway drug. They are born and two minutes later start searching for the hard stuff. But they are so darn cute!

I hope you hang out here with us and keep us updated on your new venture in permaculture and gardening!

Oh, and I know a person with a great resume on perimeter fencing. Right @baymule ?
:p

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
What beautiful property! Love those dogs (even though I'm afraid of dogs). ;) Five acres sounds so hugh to me. You will have space for everything, garden, orchard, chickens, animals, etc. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey girlfriend! About time you got over here to TEG to hang out with us! @thistlebloom she and her husband live about 45 minutes from us and we get to visit at least once a month. We met up on BYH and realized we both were moving to the same area for the same reason. :lol: It is so much fun to actually have not only an online friend, but a face to face friend that shares the same kind of crazy. :thumbsup

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey girlfriend! About time you got over here to TEG to hang out with us! @thistlebloom she and her husband live about 45 minutes from us and we get to visit at least once a month. We met up on BYH and realized we both were moving to the same area for the same reason. :lol: It is so much fun to actually have not only an online friend, but a face to face friend that shares the same kind of crazy. :thumbsup

Yes, I remembered, that's why I recommended you for fence duty!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
One day when they were visiting us, we were discussing buying wire. I mentioned that the horse wire was $10 a roll cheaper in the Tyler TSC than the small town closer to us and then I looked up TSC in a large town near them. Well! The wire was on sale $15 OFF regular price! So the next day we went to Tyler and loaded the trailer and they went to the large town near them and loaded up too!

Poka_Doodle

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey, I'm excited to follow your garden. I don't follow your heard journal because it got a little crazy but will follow this journal

Latest posts