Dews laid up a bit

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother would go over her hospital bill with a microscope Can not believe how many times Dr where billed that she never saw. When reporting things ,she was told why do you care your insurance already paid it.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Nyboy, I know what your saying. I care because the double billing is what causes our rates to increase to the point you cant afford the insurance.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Latest up date on me. Seen two different surgeons and they both claim I need an artificial disk put in my neck. My main complaint from day one has been deep inside my shoulder.... the joint. I have been giving a lot of thought to what to do. For now I am not having the surgery. I will be getting a second, third and fourth opinion. I'm not real keen on having them do a surgery that may or may not fix my problem.
Is it a risk? YES a big risk. But I'd rather have fifty dr's tell my I really need the spine surgery rather one or two because they are seeing dollar signs instead of wanting to really help me.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Latest up date on me. Seen two different surgeons and they both claim I need an artificial disk put in my neck. My main complaint from day one has been deep inside my shoulder.... the joint. I have been giving a lot of thought to what to do. For now I am not having the surgery. I will be getting a second, third and fourth opinion. I'm not real keen on having them do a surgery that may or may not fix my problem.
Is it a risk? YES a big risk. But I'd rather have fifty dr's tell my I really need the spine surgery rather one or two because they are seeing dollar signs instead of wanting to really help me.
If you decide to get the surgery go to a big metropolitan hospital.Not to a small hospital. My husband, a huge guy, had 2 knee replacements in a big Boston Hospital. While waiting to see his doctor he met several people coming from around new england to get the botched knee job fixed. His new knees are a miracle and he says it was a breeze.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dew, would stem cell therapy work for you? They draw out your blood, separate the stem cells and inject it in the afflicted area. The stem cells rebuild what is damaged. I would check into it.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not in any hurry to have my spine cut on. This has been a very difficult choice for me to make, but I feel that for the time being, it's the right choice. I believe those two drs are not looking at my best interest. I seen their PA's before the surgeons and they both wanted to tell me I didn't need this surgery. Even the second surgeon stressed it wasnt" needed", but if I "wanted" it he would do it. From a financial stand point I cant afford to have it I just want someone to listen to me about the shoulder problem I'm having. If I can get away with Physical therapy, then that's what I'll do.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hurt my back more than 10 years ago. I had 4 bulging disk and was out of work for 2 months. The pain was such that I at first was disappointed when they said I was not a candidate for surgery. Pain will make you do anything for relief. I did chiropractic, physical therapy, acupuncture, and swimming. If I had had surgery the recovery would only have been a very few months quicker. I felt pretty good after a year and was back to full strength after perhaps 2 years. I need to be cautious, particularly with any twisting of my body. One thing that I did avoid was having cortisone shots which I came close to doing. As I was contemplating this I had 3 different people tell me that they had had the shot, it didn't work, or it made the condition worse. My point is time is the greatest healer. Surgery certainly is a life saver, but caution is the smart way for you to go. Another opinion may be in order for you, Dew. Get well soon.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Doctors blame a lot of pain on bulging discs, slipped discs and degenerating discs, and offer to cut you pretty quickly. There are a lot of people who have these disc issues and don't even know it. When they have a problem and go to a surgeon, the first thing the doc does is blame the disc abnormality, whether it is the cause of the pain or not. It often doesn't help the pain if they have surgery. You are smart to not rush the surgery.
There are lots of alternative modalities to try, as Catjac mentioned. PT, swimming, yoga, chiropractic. And time, yes.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Doctors blame a lot of pain on bulging discs, slipped discs and degenerating discs, and offer to cut you pretty quickly. There are a lot of people who have these disc issues and don't even know it. When they have a problem and go to a surgeon, the first thing the doc does is blame the disc abnormality, whether it is the cause of the pain or not. It often doesn't help the pain if they have surgery. You are smart to not rush the surgery.
There are lots of alternative modalities to try, as Catjac mentioned. PT, swimming, yoga, chiropractic. And time, yes.
I was lucky the surgeon told me I was not a candidate for surgery. My pain was s bad I would have let them operate. One thing I can say . As I was healing my pain was mostly deep inside my hip. I finally refused to do some of the hip flexor rehab exercises which always seem to make me worse. Only my chiropractor and acupuncturist listened to me regarding my hip.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The problem I'm having is deep in my left shoulder. It almost feels like the bones are rubbing together. The physical therapist was having me to some exercise on a machine like a bike, man that made me cry. I told him I couldnt do that and some of the other things I was doing made it hurt worse than before I went to therapy. He ordered an MRI but they couldnt do it with the dye, I'm allergic so need premedicated, maybe I can get a new MRI with the dye and hopefully find the problem. It seems that no one wants to listen to me, it's my body, I think I know where it hurts the worst.

Latest posts