Did I miss something?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has digitS been on lately? Everything okay?

@digitS' posted Wednesday in Bay's garden thread. :)

i noted his fall off in posting too and asked him if things were ok, said he was busy taking more time to be with parent, a little under the weather and also keeping after all his plants.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm here. And, doing my best to keep up with what is posted.

I'm not keeping up with anything but near-essential tasks in gardening. Figure that I'm 1/8th done with cultivation and realized that the soil conditions were such that the tiller could have been out there about a week ago. This is what I get by having a garden at such a distance from my home.

A thermometer in the greenhouse failed, yesterday. Changed batteries but that didn't help. Scraping terminals didn't bring it back. Took the 4 screws out and peered inside - no reset button. Funny thing is that the 2 bases are now reading the 1 functioning thermometer. Got out an old set with a very different looking base but they are all from the same company, installed batteries. Now, all 3 base units are reading 1 thermometer!

I'm almost more in the dark about conditions in my backyard than in the distant garden! Two structures and 2 heating systems for me to monitor.

My 101 year-old father's monitoring system broke down. He actually had 3 different homecare systems but they were not adequate. So ... he is now living with us. ! His health, safety and property require monitoring! Why in tarnation does anyone of that age even have property?

Anyway, I got some pea seed and potatoes in the freshly tilled ground so I'm anticipating life springing anew! (The doctor tells me that I have rounded a corner in self-care. And, DW tells me that there is hot cereal on the stove for breakfast!)

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my! You are very busy and getting peas and potatoes in too. Glad to hear all is well. I type medical reports and when people are as old as your dad and live alone, they will either get sick and nobody know for a day or so,or they fall. I watched a video about the Blue Zone and they talk about how all these people live longer in the Blue Zones. I noticed something about that. The older people live with their families or they are surrounded by family and friends and they do not stay in a house day after day alone. One woman was 100 and everything she got up and walked her daughter-in-law was kind of close by watching her and following, so I think they are living past 100 because people care about them.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been thinking about you, Steve. Glad to hear you are still out there fighting. Good luck with having your dad live with you. I know that is not easy for any of you.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
new avatar -- selfiewhile riding down the road in a semi.

missed you all here as well, but getting nothing done in the garden for the past 3 years made coming here rather self-hurtful. lots has been happening here and im hope im finally ready to get playing in the dirt once again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
chaos-to-order-jpg.11386

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
new avatar -- selfiewhile riding down the road in a semi.

missed you all here as well, but getting nothing done in the garden for the past 3 years made coming here rather self-hurtful. lots has been happening here and im hope im finally ready to get playing in the dirt once again.

i would understand if it was hard/hurtful to take a break, but i'm glad you are back.

even when you can't get into the gardens any more i don't see any reason to not stick around and talk gardens, you have history/experience that can be shared. :)

Gardener Emeritus or such...

for me i hope i can still get my fingers dirty in some worm buckets or back to house plant rescues or such right up until i croak even if i can't crawl in the gardens any longer.

Latest posts