Did not harvest garlic in time. Can I split and replant for next year?

Gardener77

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well, I just had realized I failed to get to a good portion of the garlic.
It's growing chives out of all the cloves... And has that translucent look to many of them.
Can I plant the cloves right off for next year?
Do I have to do anything, like drying them out first?

I hope they are not a total waste :(
There is quite a bit there....

Thanks for any help!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If the separate cloves are firm- you can go ahead and plant them...If they are on their way to rot, they won't grow. Good luck!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes...
If there is black fungus in there than don't plant those ones. We harvested a weeeeee bit late this year and had some that got fungus.

Garlic is pretty easy. If there is some juiciness left in 'em, go for it!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another option, if you don't need the space, is to leave them in as a permanent garlic bed. More and more people are experimenting with doing it that way. They just havest them one at a time as needed rather than harvest them all at once.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i assume you would still cut the scape off them?

i was wondering if anyone has ever planted the bulbis (seeds) and do you just leave them for the 2-3 years it could take them to grow into the bulbs? or would you pull them up each year to let them dry before replanting them in the fall?

texas75563

Sprout
Reaction score
I have garlic in 5 or 6 different places. They have probably been there 5 years. I just pull the garlic when I need it. Mainly when I make my dill pickles.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Another option, if you don't need the space, is to leave them in as a permanent garlic bed. More and more people are experimenting with doing it that way. They just havest them one at a time as needed rather than harvest them all at once.
I have an organic gardening book that has an article about a permanant garlic bed that is over 20 years old.

texas75563

Sprout
Reaction score
I made 14 day sun dill pickles last year, with a clove of garlic in each jar. For the heck of it, I planted 1 of the cloves of garlic when I finished the jar of pickles. What did I have to lose? I noticed today it is about 3 inches tall.

Latest posts