Dill & Cilantro flowering

chickenwhisperer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Man readin this makes me worry about my cilantro...
I love that stuff, i put it in everything i eat.

I been growing some from seeds but it couldnt keep up with me, so I recently bought a 6-pack from the nursery and planted in a hanging 3gallon container.
How long can I expect this new setup to last, I cut from it almost everyday, and the next day its grown back and more...

Is it gonna flower no matter what, and I just gotta keep gettin new plants?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cilantro is a little tuff to have around very long, c'w.

I've got a lot of it right now in the open garden. My best plants are those few that overwintered but there is plenty from seed sown early.

I once asked at an Asian market how it is that they always have cilantro on-hand. I was told it was from a greenhouse. It was kind of an Oh! moment. Greenhouses are fairly climate-controlled even during the summer months - the humidity is high and the temperature, moderated.

One gardener I know, does like Dave and grows cilantro in boxes. He sows often and moves the boxes around as the season progresses. He has cilantro for quite a long while. I am wondering how long a cilantro season some place like the Monterrey Peninsula has. The mild climate may suit it very well. And, you are in somewhat of a similar environment, c'w.

I hope you let us know how cilantro works as a cut-&-come-again crop for you.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
At the height of Summer your celantro will go to seed quite fast. You may have only a week or two when the plant is prime for culinary use. My personal solution is to plant a patch every week or two so I always have young plants on hand. I often plant alongside other crops that are about ready to harvest. It sprouts and grows so fast it doesn't interfere with most other vegetables even when planted close beside them. BTW, celantro flowers are a big favorite with predatory insects like tiny wasps. Let some of them flower as forage for these beneficial critters.