Disease or stress from over watering?

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My tomatoes are growing funny tops. The leaves are different from the top and the bottom leaves. I suspect we are over watering them and have stopped. I also added some 10/10/10 fertilizer when the blooms appeared (1/2 tsp between each plant).

Could this be a disease, stress from over watering, or too much fertilizer? I have several different types of tomatoes, and it only seems to be a few types that are affected. Could this be normal growth? The 3rd thumbnail shows the affected tomatoes.

tomato 4.jpg tomato 1.jpg tomato 2.jpg tomato 3.jpg

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Seems to be the opalka's and san marzano's that are affected. The tops are a lime green with smallish leaves with some curling. The 3rd thumbnail shows them in the back.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine were looking kind of like that too, after I set them out. They seem to have recovered some. I suspect the wet weather. At first, I thought you may have been describing herbicide poisoning. Are there farm fields around your garden, or was round-up used anywhere near, where it could have drifted in the wind? Curling leaves, distorted growth and light color are the indications, to me, that round-up drift has occurred. If it doesn't outright kill them, they will recover.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have trees on 3 sides of the garden, and my house in the front of it. We do have cow pastures behind us beyond the trees. They are "beef" farmers and sell humanly raised grass fed beef (their slogan not mine). I don't know for sure, but I would guess they wouldn't use anything on the grass that is feeding the beef.

Again the 3rd picture you can see the tree line in the background and make out some green pasture beyond. This is the cow pasture I'm speaking of. It's only affecting the opalka's and san marzano's.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can you get a closer shot of the leaves? I had an issue earlier where there was problems on the new growth of my tomatoes, but it turned out to be too much fertilizer. That was when they were still in pots under lights, tho.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
0520151956a.jpg 0520151957.jpg
Here are some poblano peppers. I planted from seed and transplanted the same time. A couple have crumpled leaves and the one on the end is perfectly normal.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think these tomatoes are Opalka's. I just did some "searches" and looks like Opalka's new growth is "wispy", which could explain what I'm seeing. The peppers are just odd, it's almost like the top leaves are burnt.

Latest posts