Dishes

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
All I do is dishes. It seems I live in the kitchen. We used to have 4 people live here and now just me and DS. I have no idea how my mother washed dishes for 4 people and kept the sink empty. My mother was BLIND. I know we ate. We were not starving and all of a sudden I remembered our trash cans. We had 2 metal cans, one smaller than the other and 4 people and I do not remember ever having the lid half off or not enough room for the trash. Today, I had to put trash in the garage and wait until the trash man came before I could put today's trash in the can, which is a big huge plastic thing on wheels and only 2 people and we filled it up. I have been doing some extra cleaning out drawers and finally got to DH's desk and took out all the old tax papers and bills. DH quit paying bills in 2014 or so and I took it over and all the important papers are in my desk. I found old bills and things from 2005. Anyway, back to the dishes. :th

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's why I love my dishwasher. Just hide the darn dishes until there is enough to turn it on. I really hate washing dishes. Since we retired, my husband has claimed the dishwasher as his specialty and I brag on how well he does so he won't get disillusioned. sshhhhh……….. :lol:

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are three of us here, and we always have trouble keeping up with the dishes. We all eat at different times, work vastly different schedules, and most of us are so exhausted when we come home that even eating at all is an accomplishment. If someone manages to empty the dishwasher when it is clean, we can mostly keep up. If we know in advance it is going to be a bad week, I buy paper plates and bowls. It puts more in the trash can, but paper at least biodegrades.

I cook at least four days a week at work...and typically at least 3-4 hours of my day are spent leaning over the kitchen's super-low commercial sink. The last thing I want to do when I get home is more dishes.

As for the trash? So much stuff comes in packaging that takes up room with empty air in the trash...we didn't have trash pickup here until I had almost graduated high school, so we have that down pat. Usually two kitchen trash bags a week...and then about four from where we pick up all the litter in the yard. There's a walmart about a block away, and only a cornfield between us, plus the assorted restaraunts that pop up around one. I have to pay to throw away other people's trash, just to get it out of my yard!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
When wife gone, I cook, eat out of same pot. Clean up is a breeze-one pot, one fork or spoon.... tell your son, wash your own dishes and the cooking ones-unless his arms are broke.

No, no, no lol, he runs to the store for me when I needs things and he also cooks on the nights I work, and he does wash some of the dishes now and then.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are three of us here, and we always have trouble keeping up with the dishes. We all eat at different times, work vastly different schedules, and most of us are so exhausted when we come home that even eating at all is an accomplishment. If someone manages to empty the dishwasher when it is clean, we can mostly keep up. If we know in advance it is going to be a bad week, I buy paper plates and bowls. It puts more in the trash can, but paper at least biodegrades.

I cook at least four days a week at work...and typically at least 3-4 hours of my day are spent leaning over the kitchen's super-low commercial sink. The last thing I want to do when I get home is more dishes.

As for the trash? So much stuff comes in packaging that takes up room with empty air in the trash...we didn't have trash pickup here until I had almost graduated high school, so we have that down pat. Usually two kitchen trash bags a week...and then about four from where we pick up all the litter in the yard. There's a walmart about a block away, and only a cornfield between us, plus the assorted restaraunts that pop up around one. I have to pay to throw away other people's trash, just to get it out of my yard!

I think that is part of the problem here, tired. DS comes home for lunch so we have lunch dishes and my work schedule needs to be changed. We are eating too late at night, so I do not want to wash all the dishes. I wash the ones I need for breakfast and then during breakfast I wash some of them, and for lunch, I wash and cook. Before I start my job, which is at home typing, I finish all the dishes and clean the kitchen up and that is about the time normal people are starting to cook supper. I wash by hand and do not have a dishwasher.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It isn't difficult for me to get out of dishwashing. DW doesn't like a dishwasher machine. After she showed up in my home my dishwasher failed after about 3 years of disuse. I remember finally trying it when she wasn't home or something. Controls wouldn't function.

New olde home, no built-in, I get out of dishwashing because I have these minor rashes on my hands so often. If she isn't home, I wash.

And yes, I am very strongly oriented to one-pot meals ;).

Papers. I was in a thrift store this morning. There were 2, 4 drawer file cabinets. Each was $20. Well, I already have a 3 drawer file cabinet in the utility area. There is a box of papers on top. There is a nice-looking, 2 drawer cabinet in the bedroom. Full!

I had to smile looking at a drawer label at the thrift store. It said "greeting cards." Ha! Someone saves the unused ones just like I do ... Ya know, the various sizes of envelopes can come in handy even if the Norman Rockwell illustrations are beginning to look a little dated.

Steve
could take that 3 drawer one in and trade it for the 4 drawer ...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i enjoy doing dishes. we do not have a dishwasher here.

one thing i found out is the more dishes you own the more get used.

break a few or hide them to force everyone else to be more conscious of their use/abuse.

there's no reason to use a separate cup for each drink. rinse it out and leave it on the counter to be reused. i do this all the time. not dead yet. wash it in the evening.

Mom has recently been getting into the habit of using a lot of drinking glasses and a lot more dishes.

yes, it has come about after she's been buying more. note, we have cupboards full of dishes. she just likes these and so wants to use them. i think she's a bit off on such things myself and a few others, but as she gets older, well, i'll raise the issue as it is wasteful, but in the end, it's her life, her house, she can do what she wants.

she does dishes and so do i.

when she bakes a lot i help out as sou chef and clean up things, but other times i may just let her do her own dishes. it depends upon how i feel too.

at the end of the day though, between the two of us they are normally mostly done.

my own method of cooking is pretty minimal dishes most of the time. once in a while i wander further afield, but not too often.

i used to live with some friends who's wife was into watching t.v. chefs and all their little bowls and pans and stuff. i washed dished for them. for a single meal it was sometimes three or four sinks of dishes. a bit rediculous IMO. still i didn't mind doing them.

when i was at college, in the summer i'd help out in the residence hall kitchen washing up from several hundred kids/etc. it was fun to me. huge automagic dish washing machine took up one whole end of the kitchen, hot water and soap, huge stacks of pans, i could do that back then, i was in better shape... the worse breakages-o-body came later.

i really don't mind mundane tasks, i can think about all sorts of things and enjoy what i'm doing...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Doing dishes seems to be a bone of contention in a lot of homes. When the kids were growing up they had to take turns....after all, they were the ones dirtying all the dishes. When I was growing up~9 kids, mind you~dishes were also a chore that was a big deal and much hated. Mom was the only one who never seemed to mind doing them.

Then we moved off grid when I was 10 and all water was carried from a distant spring and heated on a wood cookstove for doing of the dishes. By that time the chore was mine and my next older sister, who managed to get out of it a lot. Carrying water, heating water, etc. gives you a wonderful appreciation for running hot water....so now chores like dishes, laundry, cleaning and such are no big deal. No matter how many dishes need washed, I still love the fact that I can get hot water from a faucet as I'm standing inside a nice, warm house.

Makes a huge difference in one's perspective.

If we know that we are going to have a lot of dishes to wash~family get together, etc.~we just keep a sink full of water and wash them as they come to the counter so they don't mount up. We've never had a dishwasher, nor would I trust one to get things clean.....I've seen the nasty dishes that supposedly have already been washed in dishwashers. Ick. No thanks.

I can't really say I mind doing dishes at all. I put on something good to listen to and they are done in a jiffy.

Latest posts