Dishes

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our kitchen seems to be arranged wrong. All the activity goes on in about 3 running feet. Well, maybe 4. My DH has the habit of standing at the kitchen window, looking out, when I am trying to do something, so this blocks me from the sink and the trash can. It's not like we don't have a sliding glass door 10 feet away he could stand at.
I wash up as I cook, as well, so there usually isn't a lot to clean up. But I need the whole kitchen to work in. Don't stand in my way. I move fast. Go sit on a stool at the bar, or go into the living room.

One of my sons and his wife used to have big arguments over dishes. She loves to bake. She uses every utensil and pan she has. Then leaves them all in the sink. The sink would be full for days.
I think they have mostly solved this issue, now that they have a dishwasher. And maybe she isn't baking so many cakes and cookies now, lol.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm the one that usually washes the dishes, whether I cook or not. I don't mind, it helps get my fingernails and cuticles clean. I am retired, no need for my wife to do that. I was the one washing dishes before I retired too. To me it's just not that big of a deal. I do like the wash water hot, that's soothing to my hands. And I try to keep the water clean by rinsing things before they go in, especially try to get oil or grease off to preserve my soap suds.. I soak things beforehand as much as I can. It seems when I make and can jelly or chicken broth I spend half my time washing dishes. Just part of the process.

We also use the dishwasher for certain things, mainly dishes, cups and glasses, and silverware. Before I start cooking or make and can stuff I clean the kitchen by loading the dishwasher. I don't like the clutter. Unless we are keeping the grandkids there are only two of us. To me it's mind-boggling how much stuff gets used.

I have noticed that when my wife thinks she might be washing the dishes, there are a lot fewer of them. Haven't figured that out yet. But to be fairer, she sometimes cooks part of her breakfast or lunch, we eat those separately. If she cooks those, she will usually wash her cooking pan and stuff. She doesn't have to, it's generally stuff neither of us will use later in the day. She could leave them for me to do.
Sure make the rest of us men look bad... I will have to bring your actions before the he man woman hating club. We may be asking for you man card back...... :hide ;)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure make the rest of us men look bad... I will have to bring your actions before the he man woman hating club. We may be asking for you man card back...... :hide ;)

Seed, I haven't had a man card for decades. When I realized to keep one I'd have to eat and dress certain ways, act certain ways, would be restricted from doing some things I enjoy, and basically follow a strict set of rules set by "them" I gave it up. I don't follow trends either.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, I haven't had a man card for decades. When I realized to keep one I'd have to eat and dress certain ways, act certain ways, would be restricted from doing some things I enjoy, and basically follow a strict set of rules set by "them" I gave it up. I don't follow trends either.
A real man follows his own path, drum beat. So you have your man card. Those that lose it are those that follow patterns and don’t know why or (worse yet) are afraid to step out on their own. But dang, dishes? It had to be dishes?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I am canning, I make a huge mess, but try to wash as I go. Big pots won't fit in the dishwasher anyway.

@so lucky my husband likes to watch me cook. He stands in my way. Sometimes I tell him to get out. If he doesn't I tell him to do the cooking and I go sit down. He gets the message. LOL

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's why I love my dishwasher. Just hide the darn dishes until there is enough to turn it on. I really hate washing dishes. Since we retired, my husband has claimed the dishwasher as his specialty and I brag on how well he does so he won't get disillusioned. sshhhhh……….. :lol:
I'm more confident on doing the dishes manually. I think its more sanitized that way... we use to have a dishwasher.. but it's not cleaning properly

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting discussion! Going to feature this on the homepage!

I'm the one that's usually doing the dishes at my house. I had a roommate that didn't like it because she said they didn't get hot enough / sanitized enough by hand vs. in the dishwasher.

I have a system and it goes pretty quick by hand, and I feel like I don't use as much water. That said, when my daughters are burning through dishes when they have friends over, I definitely make them put the dishes in the washer.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I will do a pot of boiling water, here now....if needed. I moved in with my Dad, to take care of him, and he doesn't even want for me to run the water till the hot water comes in.

Latest posts