Do Chipmunks Eat Green Tomatoes ?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awww...go back and call Hear Simon, Simon.

Mary

The thought had crossed my mind, and my wife said the same thing. :oops:

simon2.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unbelieveable!! He is back!!! I think it would be like me walking home from Oklahoma, but when I brought the recycles out this morning there was Simon in his usual spot looking none the worse for wear. He was even excited to see me again, so I guess all is forgiven. It is remarkable what skills critters have that we are unaware of. :celebrate
I gave him two extra helpings of sunflower seed, filled his water cup and he can stay as long as he likes.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
How many miles did he travel ?
I would estimate about five miles, however, he had to cross some very congested roads on his way. I am completely blown away. My wife has asked any number of times if I thought he would come back again and I kept saying I seriously doubted it. It would be comprabale to being dropped off hundreds of miles from home without being able to read and without a map. I even considered going back to Cropysville and trying to trap him again but thought it hopeless. The netting worked to keep the birds off the tomatoes and I have not lost a fruit since I put it on. Here is our prodigal son, he has been chowing down all morning even in the rain.

Ava is on vacation in New Jersey and I am going to send her an email as she was not happy about me moving him.

prodigal son2.jpg

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been feeling bad about banishing him and my wife said: "he trusted you", which made me feel worse. Simon is afraid of Theresa and hides when he sees her, so when she came to to the back door to say hello to him he took off. She said: "yep, that's Simon alright." :lol:

We will never fully understand how animals can navigate like they do. It truly amazes me.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was going to ask how you knew if it was really him and not another chipmunk but I see you answered my question. I like how your wife put that guilt trip on you. :p That is something I would have said! haha

Mary

Latest posts