Do Chipmunks Eat Green Tomatoes ?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was going to ask how you knew if it was really him and not another chipmunk but I see you answered my question. I like how your wife put that guilt trip on you. :p That is something I would have said! haha

Mary
I knew immediately that it was Simon, first because Simon is huge for a chipmunk, secondly he runs toward you when you call him, any other chipmunk would run away from a human. He first showed up five years ago and was a tiny thing just from his mother. I was reading on the lounge in the screenhouse and heard a sound beneath me and when I looked under the lounge there he was. I began feeding him and have done so for five years now. I read they only live three years, but in captivity can live up to eight years, so I guess not having to scrounge for food has increased his lifespan. I really have missed the little guy while sitting in the screenhouse during the afternoon.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This makes me so doggone happy! What a great story, and such a happy ending.
I was feeling bad for your little banished friend thinking he'd be easy pickings for predators, but he's obviously a very resourceful little guy.
I'm glad he's home again. :) The Incredible Journey was one of my favorite books as a kid, I think this is just as good.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Theresa and I were talking about it over dinner, the perils involved in making it home. He crossed two busy highways, probably ran a gauntlet of hawks, owls, cats, coyotes, fox and Lord knows what else. How in the world did he navigate, the positon of the sun, scent or whatever other method nature has? In additon to the highways he had to go through a few farms and people's yards and several cross streets. And, he was over three weeks in the process! He had to eat and sleep somewhere. If you think about it it is a nightmare and I would not blame him for being slightly ticked at me, but he is not.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check for tomato hornworms. They hide very well and take bites out of tomatoes.
Thanks Cat, I will, but I have not had a single damaged tomato since the net went on. I have seen a few frustrated Bluejays sitting on the stockage fence checking out the tomatoes though.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love this story. I have always been fascinated by chipmunks. It's probably a good thing we don't have any here.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
welcome back.jpg

Latest posts