Do People Pay This Amount ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bobm, were the trees you bought marked down healthy? The stuff I see marked down is so pathetic I wouldn't even take it if it was free.

Mary
The trees that I baught were dormant, but all of the trees were healthy, they all did their thing come spring. :woot

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
At that price why not? It's some labor soil amendments & maybe some fertilizers depending on how they are planted. If it doesn't pan out you're only out what you invested.

You have to have the attitude that it's a risk and it may not be successful. If it works you're up big if not well it was worth a try.

BobM got all those trees for less than buying just the Butterfly maple during the regular season. If I found a deal like that Id have tried it too.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
it depends on the variety and how thick the trunk is. saplings don't go for much if they aren't bigger than your pinkie finger unless they are a rare type. their shape also determines the price. those found at places like Home Depot/Lowes for cheap are usually common and not trained to grow with all the crooked angles most collectors are looking for. i've seen maples sold at those stores starting at $50. when i've gone to nurseries and seen much healthier and larger trunks with much better forms, i've seen prices ranging from $250-$700.

when i put in the ponds at my parents' house years ago i really wanted one of these types of maple trees to place beside the main pond. if and when i put in the pond at this property i will be looking out for a nice red Japanese maple to put nearby the pond. i was hoping to buy some seeds to grow them at a cheaper price but finding seeds can be just as expensive when you want them fresh and from someone who's trustworthy.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have seen 'special' varieties of Japanese maple in catalogs for over $200. These are rare types in a still very small size. The right plant may well be worth that much if it has been grown for the nursery trade. A tree growing in a private yard is just too iffy, IMHO.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Home Depot in Vancouver, Wa. has these 4' tall weaping Japanese Maple trees in 5 gal containers for clearance sale for $10. They were sold for $49 last spring and summer. 3 of my neighbors have these mound type maples in their yards that are almost that size as shown in the photo. Last winter I drastically pruned and shaped one of them into a contorted tree that now looks fantastic. 2 years ago I baught 7 tree type red leafed 4 ft tall in 5 gal containers Japanese Maples around Christmas time for $10 each. Now they are over 10 ft tall. This spring I baught a 6 ft. tall , in 5 gal container varigated Japanese Maple " butterfly" from a nursery on clearance for $ 7.00 . It still had a sales tag on it listing it for $149. :celebrate

I have a beautiful 20 ft tall Acer palmatum Sango-Kaku (a.k.a. Coral Bark Maple) that I rescued as a small tree for a few dollars many years ago. Often old nursery stock has been poorly treated, but I always give the bargain bin a good look.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course, if Nyboy was to start a Japanese Maple-growing business, he would grow his trees with proper attention to keeping the root in bounds are ready for transplanting.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
To create character... think bonzai but in the ground. I plant a 5 gal maple,or other type of trees , 1 gal. conifer at an angle, then prune to create a new leader branch when dormant in the winter. Others, I use PVC pipe and bamboo and tie branches down with old panty /knee high hose, 12 ga. old copper electic wire to desired shape for a season or more to achieve the shape that I want. Prune and prune some more as the branches grow to achieve a desired shape. You can make just about any tree / shrub appear windswept, crooked trunk, and make their branches grow to just about any shape that you may desire. ;)

Latest posts