Do People Pay This Amount ?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If moving Japanese maples that big was easy, I'd have long since talked my parents into hiring one to move a couple of ours around. They're lovely trees, but most of my best are natural grown plants on their own roots, so they exist in not very good places long term (that is, they are fine right now, but a lot are in places were at some point in the future they'll need to be totally removed before their roots cause permanent damage to something else (our driveway in one case, the actual road in another*.) And rooting cuttings seems to be harder than I thought.
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4%3C79%3Dot%3E6%3A56%3D8%3A%3A%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E27853%3B5467244ot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8%3C2%3A%3Dot%3E6%3A56%3D8%3A%3A%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E278497374%3B244ot1lsi

Note these are old photos from mid summer, when nethier tree is at it's best. In the spring the second one has leaves that are almost lemon yellow, the first ones that are basically black (the second also goes a particularly brilliant red in the fall, not the standard purply red of Japanese maples but a bright erythrine coral.).

* The second is of the greater concern. Since the road is public property, and the space between the road on which the tree is places is also where some of the electrical poles are, the tree technically sits in the property zone where Con Ed has the right to trim as they feel is needed to protect the lines. At this point that tree is too short to come anywhere near touching the lines so is in no danger. But Con Ed has been developing a nasty reputation around here of trying to be proactive and adopting a "scorched earth policy, making all land within twenty feet of any pole a complete dead zone devoid of ANY trees. (sort of ironic, city rules prohibit us from removing or even trimming trees without village permission (even if they are diseased or dead) but Con end gets carte blanche to do whatever it wants without censure or an ability to appeal.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I purchased two clearance fine cut leaf maples at Lowes about 6 years ago and planted them in pots. They are very happy except when its over 100 (which this summer was a LOT of times).

I have seeds from last year, and I see at least two or 3 whirly gig seeds on them this year. If someone wants some seeds, let me know.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Murphys ranch... There are a number of wholesale greenhouses here in Vancouver.Wa. that specialize in growing Japanese Maples. I visited one of them that grows 50,000 to 75,000 trees per year ( depending on contract orders) for sale to wholesale/ chain nurseries. ALL of their variety trees are grafted onto resistant rootstock maple rootstock trees then grown to eather 1 or 5 gal. sizes before they are sold to the public. If one grows their tree from seed, more likely than not, those trees will expire within 2-3 years due to deseases. :idunno

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The 2nd tree doesn't look to big in photo. No chance of hand digging? Elmsford has daylabors worth it to have one dig up and replant this fall. Photos in @Pulsegleaner post.

That's only the bottom branches of the tree; its about 25 ft. tall.

And the only reason the first one isn't the same height is that it lost about 4/5 of it's height a few years ago in one of the winter storms. The leftovers are only about 3-4 feet, but that coming out of a residual trunk that's about 2 ft. in diameter.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pull hundreds of J. maple seedlings all the time from clients trees.. One of these days I will be prepared to dig them up and grow on in containers for a few years

Latest posts