Do you buy plants or start from seed? Where do you buy?

sunflower

Sprout
Reaction score
I usually buy plants at the co-op in our small town. but last year was really a BAD year, I could not get anything to grow. I planted squash 4 times, tomatoes 2 and finally just gave up on everything else. Hope next year is better. marrie

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I start my seeds in January - it helps stave off the seasonal depression. I think it may have something to do with spending time in my full-spectrum bulbs! :)

I buy seeds from Kitchen Garden Seeds, Seeds of Change, and Jung seeds mostly. They all offer non-genetically modified seeds & lots of heirloom varieties which are a lot of fun.

I just got a catalog from the Vermont Bean Seed Co & Totally Tomatoes. Anyone use them before?

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No, I've never tried either of them. It's funny you mention them. I got a catalog from both as well. I aslo order from Jung. Looks like they may have either sold their mailimg list. Or perhaps they have bought into these companies? Anyway, I was thinking of trying some from one or the other.

Bebop

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I start my own seeds, when I was younger, we would buy a few plants, but would usually start seeds.
I usually get my seeds by trading online and eBay usually has awesome deals. alexgauld is my favorite seller and ships fast!
I want to try MNRsales and heirloomvegetables they have really good deals and have really awesome feedback in my opinion.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bebop said:
I start my own seeds, when I was younger, we would buy a few plants, but would usually start seeds.
I usually get my seeds by trading online and eBay usually has awesome deals. alexgauld is my favorite seller and ships fast!
I want to try MNRsales and heirloomvegetables they have really good deals and have really awesome feedback in my opinion.
Very cool! I love ebay and have good luck as well with seed sellers on the site!

rosajrms

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to grow some peas and bush beans in my little hydroponic garden. I have a grow light on them. (I'm a first time grower and just can't wait for Spring)

The beans are over 6 inches tall and starting to get the 3rd set of leaves, but, they are very spindly. Will they get stronger?

The peas are about 3 inches tall and are getting little branches, but, the leaves are curled. Is that about right?

Maybe they won't work in hydroponics?

I may try lettuce next, but was really hoping to get some peas and beans.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been dividing my seeds I ordered already. I have a few sprouts I've managed to start in the kitchen. Going to repot in about 2 weeks they should have their 4th true leaves by then.

AND for the first time ever, I ordered ornamental grass seeds... and they are doing sooooooooooooooooo well. My pots on the porch are going to look amazing.... too bad they are all empty right now.

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a question about SAVING seeds. I usually buy packets of seeds or plants for my garden; but, I want to start getting into the habit of saving my own seeds to grow the next year. However, I've heard/read that hybrid seeds won't work.

Can someone tell me what kind of seeds I need to buy in order to be able to use the seeds from those plants for the NEXT year's garden.

Thank You.

Latest posts