1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Canning Question - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

do you eat corn beef?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by majorcatfish, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Mar 12, 2019
    majorcatfish

majorcatfish Garden Master

with st.patty's approaching<like that matters> do you eat corn beef? with the trimmings?<cabbage spuds,carrots> wondering if you add some other veggies to it..?

in your years of cooking it do you boil/simmer it, crockpot it? do you use the spice packet that comes with it or do you make your own blend. if you do make your own please share....

do you like using the whole brisket? the point? or the flat?

once it's cooked do you go the extra mile with it before serving?

???????

flowerbug likes this.
  2. Mar 13, 2019
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

What's that? Just kidding :p No I don't but I do eat pozole. Just made a big pot of that with homemade corn tortillas.:drool

Mary

3. Mar 13, 2019
    PhilaGardener

PhilaGardener Garden Addicted

Not only that, but I ate it for dinner today! Started the crockpot at lunch, moved to the stovetop and finished with potatoes, carrots and cabbage. (The crockpot doesn't have the oompf to get those done quickly). ☘️. Happy St Patrick's Day! ☘️

ducks4you, flowerbug and majorcatfish like this.
  4. Mar 13, 2019
    dickiebird

dickiebird Garden Addicted

I eat it with whatever the restaurant is serving with it.
    The place I eat almost every dinner meal is having corned beef & cabbage the entire weekend, at my request!!!

THANX RICH

flowerbug and Collector like this.
  5. Mar 13, 2019
    Pulsegleaner

Pulsegleaner Deeply Rooted

My mom makes corned beeves almost weekly to put in my dad's lunches. We're of the Eastern European Jewish extraction so we have ours with things like sauerkraut rye bread and mustard, not cabbage.

She spices her own, but I'd have to check with her what those spices are (I think she uses the Penzey's spice mix)

flowerbug, Collector and majorcatfish like this.
  6. Mar 13, 2019
    majorcatfish

majorcatfish Garden Master

we use the crock pot and the spice packet and a few hot pepper flakes let it cook till a fork has a little resistance, turn the oven on at 450* then pull it out in the mean time pour the juices into another pot and add the potatoes and carrots and start on medium heat.

back to the meat, we remove the fat cap and pour a mixture of honey and gray poupon place in oven for 15min, now we add the cabbage.once the 15 is up we turn the oven to broil and let the glaze brown just a bit.
    once thats done pull it out and let it rest for 10 mins, by now all the veggies are done. slice the corn beef and serve...good stuff..

7. Mar 13, 2019
    Collector

Collector Garden Addicted

We don’t do corned beef here much if we do we buy it already done. I am not a huge fan of it, but will eat it a few times a year.

flowerbug and majorcatfish like this.
  8. Mar 13, 2019
    Collector

Collector Garden Addicted

Although , my favorite sandwich is the Reuben. It is hard to find a place that makes a great one. The best around these parts that I have found is at Wadells a sports bar on the south side of Spokane.

9. Mar 13, 2019
    Carol Dee

Carol Dee Garden Master

I love it. Once a year. I would eat it every week but the price and pounds on my hips say otherwise. I make a baked potato or boiled cabbage on the side. (Not a fan of the vegetables cooked in the broth.) I just put it in the oven with water and packet of spices, easy peasy. My FAVORITE sandwich is also a Rueben. Yes @Collector it is hard to find a good one. :(

flowerbug, majorcatfish and Collector like this.
  10. Mar 13, 2019
    Rhodie Ranch

Rhodie Ranch Garden Master

I've cooked Corned beef every year for Decades. I buy a point and a flat. Cover with water and the spice packets. Boil for 2 - 3 hours and then take the beef out. Put in the carrots, onions, celery and quarters of cabbage and boil. LOVE LOVE LOVE! I especially LOVE the cabbage and its flavor. I can eat it cold! and the core too!

I found that the corned beef is very expensive this year. So won't be buying it. But cabbage is on sale for 49 cents a lb so will get several.