do you eat corn beef?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes they are proud of corn beef this year 3.99pp food lion has them on sale for 3.49pp with card reg price 5.99pp so dw picked up 2 for this weekend.. love a good reuben sandwich as well and yes hard to find a restaurant that makes one to die for...
cold corn beef makes a wonderful midnight snack...

hum wonder if they make a crock pot that fits 3 of them...lol

they do go on sale a couple times a year so if dw does not want to cook we have cb for dinner, you will not hear any complaining out of me....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
with st.patty's approaching<like that matters> do you eat corn beef? with the trimmings?<cabbage spuds,carrots> wondering if you add some other veggies to it..?

in your years of cooking it do you boil/simmer it, crockpot it? do you use the spice packet that comes with it or do you make your own blend. if you do make your own please share....

do you like using the whole brisket? the point? or the flat?

once it's cooked do you go the extra mile with it before serving?

???????

we usually end up with the pre-sliced versions as we don't eat it that often, but i like it for a change once in a while. with or without cabbage/kraut and some good mustards and dark rye breads or pumpernickle... yum yum yum... enjoy!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother made corned beef, and it cured me of ever wanting to try it again. As horrible as it was, it paled in comparison to the cabbage she tried to make me eat. She put actual quarters in it. I don't care how much she washed them, I'm not eating something boiled in the same container as something that's probably been frozen and lodged in a kid's butt crack.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
we use the crock pot and the spice packet and a few hot pepper flakes let it cook till a fork has a little resistance, turn the oven on at 450* then pull it out in the mean time pour the juices into another pot and add the potatoes and carrots and start on medium heat.

back to the meat, we remove the fat cap and pour a mixture of honey and gray poupon place in oven for 15min, now we add the cabbage.once the 15 is up we turn the oven to broil and let the glaze brown just a bit.
once thats done pull it out and let it rest for 10 mins, by now all the veggies are done. slice the corn beef and serve...good stuff..
YUP , my wife prepares the corned beef like you do. And she makes GREAT Sandwiches with thick slices leftover meat. :drool :drool

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother made corned beef, and it cured me of ever wanting to try it again. As horrible as it was, it paled in comparison to the cabbage she tried to make me eat. She put actual quarters in it. I don't care how much she washed them, I'm not eating something boiled in the same container as something that's probably been frozen and lodged in a kid's butt crack.
:yuckyuck
will be laughing as i'm eating dinner this weekend....frozen butt crack beef....

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
What a coincidence ~ I have a brisket on the way as we type ~ I didn't add the herbs that came with it ~ instead black pepper and maybe some garlic in a while ~ it's a cooking right now with potatoes and Brussels Sprouts bout an hour and a half to go ```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
upload_2019-3-13_16-41-27.png
Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest of beef or veal. The beef brisket is one of the nine beef primal cuts, though the precise definition of the cut differs internationally. The brisket muscles include the superficial and deep pectorals.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like a corned beef sandwich occasionally, but the times I have cooked corned beef and cabbage, maybe half a dozen times ever, it stunk the house up so bad, and was so....overpowering? offensive? that we could not eat the leftovers.
Too expensive for one meal eaten while gagging, and the rest thrown into the garbage.
And by the way, @AMKuska, what do quarters have to do with corned beef? I hadn't heard that.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like a corned beef sandwich occasionally, but the times I have cooked corned beef and cabbage, maybe half a dozen times ever, it stunk the house up so bad, and was so....overpowering? offensive? that we could not eat the leftovers.
Too expensive for one meal eaten while gagging, and the rest thrown into the garbage.
And by the way, @AMKuska, what do quarters have to do with corned beef? I hadn't heard that.

i've always loved the smell of cooking saurkraut or cabbage. Mom is different in that she likes the smell of cooking kraut ok, but does not like the smell of cooking cabbage. to me a vegetable soup just isn't right without some steamed cabbage going in too... i also like the smell of almost any brassica as it is being cooked. Mom gags at almost all of them. *shrug* which is why i don't grow them here often or much, even the measly wimpy turnips i have to wait to cook when she's gone for the day... lol