Do you ferment?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Explain fermented peppers. Recipe? Taste?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sauerkraut and dill pickles. I have made a lot of kombucha tea. I also own a yogurt maker and have made some and I also have made kefir. I have fermented peppers too and i should have this year, but forgot.
Kombucha sounds so good! I've yet to try it tho.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Explain fermented peppers. Recipe? Taste?
Fermenting is basically allowing the lactobacillus bacteria to grow in a clean environment. Lactobacillus are good for your digestive system and helps you fight illnesses better.
It's very easy. Wash peppers, remove seeds and stem and any bad spots. Put them in a sterile jar leaving 1 inch head space. The brine is 1 cup bottled water to 1 teaspoon non iodized salt. Pour in to jar until peppers are completely submerged. I used a glass weight to keep peppers under brine and a fermenting lid so the gases pass but dont let bacteria or air in. Put jar in a cool dark place and they should be ready to eat in 3-5 days. You will see small bubbles in the jar and that means the ferment is happening! The longer you let them sit the stronger the flavor. Store in fridge for up to 6 months. All this information is based on research I've done. I recommend that you do your own research because lots of variations out there. I bought the mason jar fermenting kit and it makes the process easier for a newbie.

Latest posts