Do you ferment?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just watched a program tonight about an Oregon couple who ferment the vegetables they grow on their farm. They've turned it into a business and wrote a couple of cookbooks.
I ordered one, been wanting to try this for awhile and you can start very small apparently.
And it only take few days foe it to be ready. And you can adjust the flavor by letting it ferment longer. And the combination possibilities are endless! What is the name of the book you bought?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i remembered that i used to ferment milk to make yogurt all the time. i had this very large computer monitor which kept the yogurt at the right temperature... won't work with this new one (too thin and doesn't give off much heat at all).
My mom used to make yogurt at home all the time. It was so good!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made dandelion wine once. It was a bit of a complicated process with killing the natural bugs and introducing a special yeast but it was pretty good. We gave the air lock to my wife's brother, don't think he ever used it.

I got this fermenting crock and used it for saurkraut. Those weights keep the product in the liquid. You fill that groove on top with water and set the lid down in that. That notch allows the gasses formed by the fermenting to escape. As long as you keep that groove topped off with water it acts as an air lock and you don't need to scrape the stuff off the top. Since it does not let light through the saurkraut stays creamy white. If you try this in a clear jar not kept in the dark the saurkraut can discolor pretty dark.

Fermenting Crock.JPG

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Plus, you can always use it as a stepping stone to make labne/quark (I think all have to do is drain it).

Tried my hand at making umeboshi once, but it got moldy (I forgot the pressure stones to keep it under the brine) what I could taste however told me I don't like umeboshi so I won't be doing that again.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Plus, you can always use it as a stepping stone to make labne/quark (I think all have to do is drain it).

Tried my hand at making umeboshi once, but it got moldy (I forgot the pressure stones to keep it under the brine) what I could taste however told me I don't like umeboshi so I won't be doing that again.
I will have to try those too. I just had some of the fermented peppers and they are nothing like saurkraut I've eaten in the past. These are much better. I guess making it at home is more fresh and tastes better.

Latest posts