Do you think these are honey bees?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes they are honey bees. They look exactly like ours. They may not have an abundant pollen source right now. Keeping water out will help assure you have bees and other pollinators around your yard. :)

Thanks Carol Dee, I was hoping you would comment.:)

Seems like there's a lot of stuff blooming right now :\, but I haven't actually looked real hard, other than my flower beds.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we get them all summer ever since the guy who owns the field to the north of us told a bee keeper that he could put hives there. we have 30-50 hives about 150ft from our bird baths. the only way to keep them off is to let them go dry. :(

they don't have pollen sacks loaded up because they are the water detail. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug please leave the bees some water. :love Are they a real nuisance, chasing you away and stinging? If not, please consider letting them drink there. Place water in a far corner nearest the hives but away from activity in the yard may help.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't mind them in the bird bath here. They are totally benign. It's just that the birds won't bathe until evening when the bees are done. But that's okay too. Evening baths before bed are the best anyway. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug please leave the bees some water. :love Are they a real nuisance, chasing you away and stinging? If not, please consider letting them drink there. Place water in a far corner nearest the hives but away from activity in the yard may help.

they have an entire large ditch with water flowing continually for water, it is much closer to their hives.

i won't harm bees if i can help it. i work with them in the gardens all the time just a few inches away. no these bees aren't aggressive.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
If these are my neighbors bees they just may prefer the water here. It's in the shade and I hose it out every morning so it's cool and fresh.
I think his water is a tray that gets a bit gunky and warm.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A Bee farm moved in across the street, I believe he told my nephew they where putting in 500 hives. I do see increase of bee at bird baths maybe the stream and pond are to deep for them.

Latest posts