Do you work in the garden Barefoot?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
No NO NO, I meant you in your boots in the garden! ;)

I see you are left handed. I think.
I took them off because I am in the the house now

I ETA above to give you the run down on the attire worn when gardening here in the PNW ....kind of like plants we have a hybrid wardrobe here ..boots heavy socks ..shorts and sweatshirts :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
honestly be good to your feet ...I know I mentioned I am a nurse and have seen some nasty foot infections that is part of the reason I wear those boots ..the other part is they can drive a shovel in really well :)

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
honestly be good to your feet ...I know I mentioned I am a nurse and have seen some nasty foot infections that is part of the reason I wear those boots ..the other part is they can drive a shovel in really well :)
So true I have seen first hand also.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I would never dare go barefoot in my garden. The level of bacterium is through the roof in most places. Especially in today's world where most of the bacterium is exposed so frequently to antibiotics that they have grown resistant. :(

The risk of stepping onto a sliver of rusted metal is very high, which could cause Tetanus; very serious! :(

The amount of fecal waste in our water systems, the drugs found in our water systems, and not to mention the various bags of composted manure which may or may not have been cooked thoroughly. Yikes-o-la ! :(

I think that I would risk it if it were only sand like a beach, but my clay probably has it all; not to mention all the chemicals that have leeched into it and suspended from years of previous people. One area in my garden used to be a pig's pen and I know my house is older than modern plumbing and likely had an outhouse. I don't even want to know! :/

Take care of those feet, one small nick can change your life forever.

Sorry for being so graphic. :( Every time I have thought on these lines I think of the folks in New Orleans. Those yards sat so long in fecal and chemical messes that it is permeated into the soil. Even adding amendments might take years to get it all out. I think about all those future folks who simply walk out there and plant a few marigolds not realizing their lives are at risk. God forbid.

Ron

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow! i am sure there is truth behind the possibility of infections walking around barefoot...........but..............i have run around barefoot since i can remember. I still garden barefoot daily. I love it! and my feet and my self are perfectly healthy and im 41 years old now. Just seems like maybe some of us may be over reacting and taking the threat too seriously. Maybe we can be a little less sheltered from the bactirium and build a little immunity. Ive had many cuts and pokes and never an infection or problem, I think the secret lies in cleanliness, stay clean but not sterile, build up immunities............maybe............just my two cents. And yay for those indian footies! I am Cherokee and love the barefoot inthe dirt!

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Not since I stepped on a spider and was bitten! I wear crocs. Easy on, easy off.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It would not be wise to go barefoot in my garden. It is on the previous site of a barn/outbuilding. I live in a remodeled 2 story farmhouse built in 1942. Too often I find rusty old nails and bits of broken glass. I keep buckets (with holes drilled in the bottom to let the rain out) on the corners of my garden and I am constantly throwing nails and glass, etc in them. Then next year the frost heaves up more...it never ends!

Besides, the chicken poo, too!

Now, grass--I love to go barefoot on grass. I will take my chances there.
:weee

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gazinga said:
Wow! i am sure there is truth behind the possibility of infections walking around barefoot...........but..............i have run around barefoot since i can remember. I still garden barefoot daily. I love it! and my feet and my self are perfectly healthy and im 41 years old now. Just seems like maybe some of us may be over reacting and taking the threat too seriously. Maybe we can be a little less sheltered from the bactirium and build a little immunity. Ive had many cuts and pokes and never an infection or problem, I think the secret lies in cleanliness, stay clean but not sterile, build up immunities............maybe............just my two cents. And yay for those indian footies! I am Cherokee and love the barefoot inthe dirt!
I agree with you my friend! The more people :hide from germs the more ground they gain on us .
I never did nor will I ever wear shoes in my garden! :old :weee

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
flip flops for me .. not the best option for using a shovel, but i hate shoes so i make the flip flops work ........ never bare foot, i've seen whats in my dirt, yard and grass!
ouch
i think my hands take more of a beating than my feet .. cuts, scrapes and bruises one or the other ..

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought about it, a few times, after feeling rather confident that I had already found all the metal and crockery bits there were to find in my yard.

And then my dog, who is barefoot year round, got hookworms.

Rubber rinse-off clogs for me, thanks! Don't want hookworms!

Latest posts