Does altitude affect corn?

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have been trying to grow corn for 4 years. We usually plant about mid May. We are at 6500 feet and temps tend to stay below 90. We do get to 95 once in a while. They grow a lot of corn north of us. The elevation there is probably around 5200 ft. By the end of August our plans are only about 5ft high and the ears are about 70% of the size you usually see in the store. Do you think we need supplements in the soil or is the altitude and lower temp affecting he growth?

We have never done a soil test.

cardenfarms

Sprout
Reaction score
hi-
i'm new to the group but we had amazing corn last year. definitely do a soil test - this should be available through your department of agriculture and a cooperative extension office. they should be able to tell you plenty about soil testing. also, altitude should not affect the corn. maybe it was the seed and also it may have not all been pollinated (male and female corn), etc. good luck.

thanks-
carden farms

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HI- definately get your soil tested and that being said make sure you are planting only one type of corn to ensure you are getting good pollination. If you plant more than one type try to keep them 100-200 feet apart.

Also look for a variety that matures at 70 days or less. Good Luck and happy gardening!:)

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. We definitely need to get our soil tested.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew corn when I lived in Bozeman, Mt at around 5000 ft. I started them in the peat pots and then transplanted. Supposedly corn doesn't do well but these did. I think you have to make sure that it is an early corn and make sure you plant enough to get a good pollination. Hope this helps.