Does anyone have a blackberry Jam recipe they dont mind sharing?

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have wild blackberries on our property and I would like to make some blackberry jam with them if someone has a recipe. Is it easy? Hard? what do I need? thanks :)

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I make blackberry freezer jam. Follow the instructions on a Sure-Jell pack. They are pretty seedy though. You could run half of them through a food mill. My favorite jam!!!:tools

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks! What is a food mill?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi, Okiemommy! :)

We have enough blackberries for all the people on this forum....really! So I make a lot of jam, syrup for pancakes and such, and toppings.

But then when I was looking for a food mill to show you, there was a recipe with it, with photos, so it won! :)

It's pretty general, but a DJ I know who always wins blue ribbons at the fair with her blackberry jam, says that she just follows the recipe on the back of the pectin box! Personally, I think there must be a secret ingredient ;) but either way, that recipe on the box won't steer you wrong!

Good luck! :)

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's what I was gonna say. Recipe on the box.

I ended up making jelly because I don't like the seeds, but I believe the jam works just like the jelly, except you leave some of the fruits in. The recipe on the box of pectin is a great one.

Cassandra

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Tutter and Cassandra! hmmm that begs another question...how do you make Jelly? I know Jam and Jelly are different, but I thought jelly had the bits of fruit in it. I don't like clumpy "Jelly", so what should I make? I like the smooth stuff. :weee

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As far as I know, jellies are clear, with no bits of fruit in them. Jams use the whole fruit, with, or without, seeds.

You can make jam, with all the fruit, and not have it lumpy, by just processing the fruit before making. :)

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Jelly is the stuff with no fruit in it. It's made exclusively from the juice. Jam has little bits of fruit in it and "preserves" are big chunks of fruit! Just for comparison: Think "grape" generally when you think jelly and "strawberry" generally when you think jam. Those are basically representative when you are thinking of the texture you want.

It sounds like jelly may be what you are looking for.

First step in jelly is to make the juice. If you will look at my avatar, that's a picture of the blackberries I used to make one batch of blackberry jelly. (Exactly that amount. About 2/3 full of a medium size collander.) If I had to guess, I would say maybe two or three quarts of berries.

Put the berries in a big boiler and cover with water. Boil them and mash them a little with potato masher. Then drain them through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl.

(I think if you wanted jam, you could just strain it through something with bigger holes.)

You need 3.75 cups of juice. You can add up to a couple of ounces of water to make enough if you don't get enough from the fruit.

Put the juice in a big pot and add your pectin. Bring it to a full rolling boil. Add your sugare (4.5 cups). Bring to a boil again stirring constantly. When it comes to a full boil, boil for exactly one minute. Remove from heat.

Pour into sterilized jars. Wipe off your jar rims. Put on the lids & rings. Process in a boiling water bath for five minutes.

Tada! Jelly. :)

Cassandra

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am not a jelly expert by any means but I stumbled on a blackberry jelly trick that works for me. When I was in High school I was in 4-h and decided to enter some Jelly in the fair. I picked the berries, strained the seeds and put the juice in the fridge. I was really busy so did not get back to the juice for about 6 days or so. It was still good-did have a faint fermented smell but not strong. I went ahead and made the jelly and won the grand prize. Too funny.:ya

The judges like the flavor the best. I think it was the fact that the Juice "sat" in the fridge for a few days. I would check it daily to make sure it does not get too strong.