Does anyone have a blackberry Jam recipe they dont mind sharing?

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi,
I make blackberry jam every year and it is really easy. I use the receipe found on the directions inside the boxes of pectin...I use Ball Fruit Pectin.
Basically all you need is the fruit, pectin, sugar, jars, lids and a big pot on the stove.

I use a pressure cooker for the canning, as I like the process and the end result better than freezer jam. Until I bought my own, I borrowed a friend's but they are not that expensive and well worth it if you can anything else from your garden. I can tomato sauce, peppers, pears, applesauce so the expense is minimial.

Back to the jam......4 tricks that helped me a lot.
1. I sterilize the jars in my oven and use tongs to pull them out, fill with the prepared jam and pop in the cooker.
2. I don't like the seeds much with blackberries, so after the fruit is cooked down I smash the pulp through a strainer....a regular kitchen strainer that collects about 80% of the seeds.
3. I always invite a friend to come and help...it's just more fun and they can take home a couple of jars for the help.
4. In the event I can't can all the fruit (cuz those berries come at the same time) I will pick and freeze in large freezer bags until I have more time or we run out.

Hope this helps you.
Anne

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh wow great tips adondro!!! And thanks for the clarification ladies on the difference between Jam's and Jellies! Now if I can just remember it after so many years of confusion! LOL

nubsmum what a great tip as well! I may have to use that, especially if I ever enter any jams or jellies into the state fair; or if my kids decide to get into 4H, they can use that tip! That being said I need to get out their and pick some blackberries! :p

Latest posts