Does anyone know how to dry beans?

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This probably sounds like a silly question.
But I have a bushel of cranberry beans that I want to can and dry but have never done this with either. I have to hull them out. I can find it in my ball book how to can them but it doesn't say how to dry them.
If I am not mistaken you have to leave them in the hull to dry them?
Any suggestions?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm only familiar with doing it by letting them dry *on the plant*, til they rattle in the pods and then you just shell 'em out and there you are. I am not honestly sure whether it can be done if they're still soft when picked? (Other than drying the whole pod like dried green beans but they have to be smallish pods for that unless you really like chewing and, er, flatulating)

Pat

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I'm only familiar with doing it by letting them dry *on the plant*, til they rattle in the pods and then you just shell 'em out and there you are. I am not honestly sure whether it can be done if they're still soft when picked? (Other than drying the whole pod like dried green beans but they have to be smallish pods for that unless you really like chewing and, er, flatulating)

Pat
:lol: Have I ever told you how much I enjoy reading your posts, Pat? :lol:

I've only ever heard of the method that Pat describes. This is my plan for my black-eyed peas...though in the meantime, they have plans for world domination--and my backyard is first on their list to take over! :ep I also hope that this gives me enough seed to start over next year--with a bigger plot for them planned, so they can sprawl to their heart's content....

I think that you're going to have to can or freeze those beans you've got now.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If the pods are still green but you can tell the beans are fat in them, just shell them as usual and dry them in a single layer on a piece of window screen or on papertowels on a cookie sheet.

I do that with my scarlet runner beans, because if you keep 'em picked they'll make more flowers (and thus more beans).

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind, how long does it take?

the ones I picked yesterday were from someone else's garden, so leaving them on the vine wasn't exactly an option.

thanks
Cassandra

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good question. I honestly don't know. I usually forget about mine for a while, as gardening and preserving tend to be weekend projects. I'm guessing one week in dry weather, two weeks in humid weather?

Until your spouse yells, "Can you PLEASE get your STUFF off the TABLE?!?!?!?" at the top of his lungs. :p

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Good question. I honestly don't know. I usually forget about mine for a while, as gardening and preserving tend to be weekend projects. I'm guessing one week in dry weather, two weeks in humid weather?

Until your spouse yells, "Can you PLEASE get your STUFF off the TABLE?!?!?!?" at the top of his lungs. :p
HAHAHA!! I will remember that as the beans-are-done alarm clock.

LOL

:lol:

Cassandra

Gram49

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi, I am familiar a little with Cranberry Oct. beans. My parents grew them and we called them "horticultural" beans, but since discovering the dried Cranberry ones I realize they are the same. Mom did not can them, she froze them. They picked them when the shell (bean pod) was very withered and thin. The bean was very big and plump. She did not wash them, but put them in plastic containers for the freezer. BYW - our favorite way to eat them was to cut cup up a big plate of ripe tomatoes and spoon the cooked beans over them. Delicious! Good luck!
Gram

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi!
I've been drying beans for a long time. In fact, I breed beans! The ones I have now are on thier 4th generation.

Once you've selected the plant(s) you want to take the seeds from, you stop watering it as much. Sometimes, I don't water them at all. After a couple of day the plant will start to dry up. The pots will start turning brown and will crack. Inside the cracked pot tthere will be seeds.

Latest posts