Does anyone know if deer will eat Cup and Saucer Vine (Cobea scandens)

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,
I have got some real good looking young cobea vines. I want to plan where to put them in my yard, but we have LOTS of deer in our area. Does anyone know if the deer will eat these vines? Otherwise, I'll have to put them inside the fence.
Thanks in advance for helping!
Kathie :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kathie, I've discovered that there are no hard and fast rules for "deer resistant". Only generalities, and deer seem to love to push the envelope.
What works in one neighborhood is upside down a few miles away. Sorry to be so encouraging :D .

What I do now is to spray deer repellent on ALL new plantings. They like to nibble on new stuff just for the novelty I guess.

And of course the fawns will eat just about everything until they figure out what they like.

What I'm using now that works well and lasts 2 - 3 months is Deerout. Deer Away is also supposed to be good. There are a few golf courses using it this year and they're happy with it.

In the fall I use Plantskydd (NOT the ready to use, I mix the powder, it's odorless then. ) It also lasts 2 - 3 months.

You can also make a homemade concoction, but it will need to be reapplied after rain.

Good luck, keep us posted on what happens!

P.S. I'm not pushing any particular brand, but I've used several, and in many various locations, and these have proven themselves.
I also know which popular brands don't work in this area. :rolleyes:

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Thistlebloom.
I will try some deer repellent. I will probably also plant some of the cobea behind my fence (just in case).
I agree that hungry deer will eat anything.
Thanks for taking the time to give me such a helpful answer, I will let you know how I do.
Good Gardening!
Kathie :)