Does This Plant Exist ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some one once gave me a pot of hens and chicks in a plastic pot. I never got around to planting them. They lived the next 6 years in the pot, I don't remember what happen to them.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Nyboy here you go, if you are thinking about using succulents, feast you eyes on these. There is a little garden center on the mainland where I go to buy succulents and I'm sure garden centers where you are carry at least some of them. Pictures taken at this little garden center the last time I was there...

What you can plant in a hanging basket you could also grow in window boxes, containers or make wall hangings, mind you most of these are not winter hardy but if you have access to a cool greenhouse for the winter, just saying...
DSCN4138.JPG DSCN4212.JPG
DSCN4210.JPG Screen shot 2012-06-08 at 4.08.42 PM.png

DSCN4141.JPG DSCN4140.JPG

Loads of color here and most do flower but are mostly grown for the foliage. Below a picture of one of the benches in my greenhouse, since this pic was taken I have given a lot of these away . My first attempt of putting a hanging basket together, I didn't think it ended up looking too shabby.
DSCN4984.JPG DSCN4667.JPG

It's the wet in winter that does them in, kept dry some will even make it through a freeze here if covered. I've wintered Echeverias in the ground by putting an upturned gallon pot over them. Most sedums on the other hand are winter hardy.

I forgot to add Hen and Chicks (Sempervivums) are quite winter hardy.

Annette

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow you and Thistle are right !!!I think I will try that with 1 window box ( gardening is a experiment after all) I do have a unheated green house for fig trees.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow you and Thistle are right !!!I think I will try that with 1 window box ( gardening is a experiment after all) I do have a unheated green house for fig trees.
If they are not too expensive, just treat them like annuals. It may come out to the same price since you won't have to replace them as often as annuals.

Mary

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Nyboy , it's an Aeonium probably 'Zwartkop" or atropupureum 'Schwarzkopf'. There is also another tall Aeonium ' Sunburst 'with green and creamy yellow variegated leaves. Or one of the crested ones like this one.
Aeonium Sunburst Cresta.JPG
Aeonium Sunburst Cresta

Annette

cyrhere

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Came across this thread while searching for succulents. The pictures you posted, @aftermidnight are amazing. I especially like the wall hangings.

I'm new to succulents and everyday I see new inspiration!

Latest posts