Does your garden have a name, mine does.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, looking at your photos of the weed patch to become your future garden area... and looking back at my native grassland that was a high desert open range used as a cattle ranch of 10,000 acres and what it took to transforming it to a productive pastures and a garden ... 3 D-9s and a landplane working for 2 1/2 weeks. A 50 hp backhoe to dig a 100 x 120 x 6' deep ponding basin, 33 horses eating 100 tons of alfalf hay + 20 tons of grain / year to yield organic matter to disc in using a 20hp Kabota tractor. for 3 years on 2 1/2 acres that was to be used as grounds and garden for our new house. I would hazard to say that Baymule would turn into a Greymule after a weeding frenzy if she was to plant a garden this year. May I suggest that you increase you hog population by 3 fold several times per year for 2 or 3 more years while laying down many more tons of organic matter and discing it all in every time it is applied. A neigborhood pork chop BBQ with more in freezer camp as well as selling extra hogs that was produced in "Hog Heaven" for $$$s and all the while the hogs transforming the sandy soil into rich fertile weedfree soil would be much more appealing than sitting in a rocking chair while popping pain pills for an aching back. Good luck and have fun !

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The fenced garden space is 100'x70'. But of course I have my eyes on other sunny spots that aren't pasture (not really pasture, lots of trees, brush and briars--but calling them pastures makes me feel better).

@Nyboy a ranch is mostly cattle or other livestock. A farm is mostly crops. A ranch can be a couple acres or thousands, although I just don't get somebody calling their paltry couple acres a ranch. I call my little 8 acres a farm. According to @bobm it is a planTAYshun and we sip mint juleps on the verRANdah. :gig

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love seeing everyone's gardens! We don't have an official name, but have frequently referred to it as "Frosty Acres". We have never had a frost in July, but that's it. The weird climate seems to have put an end to our frequent August frosts.

Now I feel like it should have a name like, Weed Bed, or Plastic Plantation. Unfortunately, we use a lot of plastic, - 2 large plastic covered hoop houses, with black plastic lining the interior, and occasional area of black plastic on other parts of the garden.

Self-seeding orange and double pink poppies often save it from ugliness, and of course, the vegetables themselves.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I rather like Frosty Acres. You can grow a few white flowering plants and keep the 'frost' going year round.

Growing in plastic is exactly what you need to be doing in a place like Frosty Acres. It's the one sure way to get the fresh, safe food you want. I intend to do more with plastic this year myself.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our little place is called Halfway Ranch in memory of my late Father :celebrateI am still working on the garden fence, greenhouse as I am a 55 year old Mostly blind female with many physical limitations I refuse to admit :lol: my two housemates are my best friend and his adult son that he and I actually bought the place bringing his Dad my best friend with.

Attachments

• coop 046.jpg
    coop 046.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 302

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, PennyJo! I am happy to make your acquaintance here.

I wouldn't begin to know what 'many physical limitations' :hugs you have, but I once worked -- all woman workers -- on a Habitat for Humanity build with the blind woman who was getting the house. One would hardly know she had limitations as she worked as long and as hard on the building as the rest of us did.

I am an 'experienced' gardener -- years and years and years of experience -- and I've found we all work with some type of limitations. Please keep posting as we go into this new gardening season together.

Latest posts