Dog pix and habits

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a photo of my newest granddogs. Oengus, on the left is just about two and came into the family as a pup. Ellie, was rescued from a shelter and has been a part of the family for only two weeks.
10262002_10201450286609112_8914548580624889745_n.jpg

The folks at the shelter suspect she spent most of her early life in a too small cage and was used as part of a puppy mill. Nothing but bones when I first saw her, Ellie gained 45 pounds after she got to the shelter and has gained another 7 pounds since she got to her forever home. At about 4 years old, she is just learning to sit, lay, and stay while giving Oengus the exercise he has been needing.

It didn't take long for them to become best friends -- except when it comes to food -- and together they are easier to care for than each one alone. I haven't timed how long it takes a Great Dane to run across my 30 acre field, but their long legs make short work of the trip.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They r pretty. Glad they have great home. Wish more people would rescue dogs when all they want is a pet. She is smart if she learns commands at 4 still.

Breeders are necessary for working dogs.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
They r pretty. Glad they have great home. Wish more people would rescue dogs when all they want is a pet. She is smart if she learns commands at 4 still.

Breeders are necessary for working dogs.

Yes, good breeders are necessary. Oengus came from a good breeder -- just not show quality -- he was traded to my daughter-in-law for a tattoo. Breeders who lock up their breeding dogs in too small kennels are something else. Her back legs are deformed from what the shelter thinks is not being able to stand upright in her cage. Fortunately, it doesn't effect her running ability.

She, and several other dogs were taken from the owners for abuse. For a 4 year old Great Dane to add 45 pounds to her weight and still be nothing but bones, would have had to have been abuse. When they brought Ellie home, DS wanted to stop at a pet store and weigh her, but DIL was afraid others would think she was responsible for starving the dog and didn't want to go.

Yup, she seems a smart girl. Learning new things is easy. Now if only she can learn NOT to use the house for a bathroom. I'm afraid they have 4 years of unlearning to teach her that. We're hoping that having Oengus as a role model will help, but until then, it's the family that needs to be 'house trained'.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Enjoying this thread very much! There's nothing like the relationships we build with our dogs.
Here are 3 of our babies. Gus the corgi is my "little man" and is as devoted as he can possibly be. Such a good boy and extremely smart. He loves to herd my chickens. Harlo is an American Bandogge. She is a little over a year and is an amazing dog. We got her for property protection and she does not disappoint. She is also a huge love with a hilarious personality. Her favorite thing right now is playing in the hose with the pigs. Maci is a rescue my daughter brought home from school. She is a chiweenie and weighs only 6 pounds. We didn't want any more small dogs but this one was going to be put down and she was only 4 weeks old and weighed almost nothing, so we let our daughter keep her. What a little stinker! She is now 7 months old. She is extremely feisty and she and Harlo play all day long. Crazy how the biggest dog and the smallest dog are such inseparable friends.

Latest posts