Dogs and plants

Indyanna

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does anyone else have trouble with their dogs getting into their gardens and landscaping? I'm not sure what to do. I have 2 dogs. Diesel is a Great Dane/Yellow Lab mix (110 lbs.) and Hayley is a Cavalier Spaniel/Bichon Frise mix (10 lbs.) Both of them trample over most things. Last fall I had to plant my peony tubules 3 times because Haley kept digging them up and bringing them indoors. I finally had to put a bucket over where I planted them until she lost interest. Any advice would be appreciated.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've taught my corgi that when i start a hole to keep digging it out for me. but i have to get him to leave that spot alone for a few days or after a rain shower helps to wash away the 'new dirt' smell. dogs are attracted to that disruption of the dirt and as predators naturally want to investigate it thinking there is a prey animal in there. being a corgi he thinks it is a mouse or chipmunk (pw corgi have some terrier in them and naturally chase rodents)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to keep our garden fenced off from our dogs, not because they'll dig or trample so much, but because they like to poop in there!! I dunno, they're goofballs.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, dogs and gardens don't mix! I have a "dog" yard which I really don't try to garden in. I have a few things planted, but I don't bet on them surviving! Outside of the dog area, is where my gardens are planted... Small fences would work for you small pooch, but the big guy is going to require something substantial!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe there is some scent you could put down that would be unattractive to the dogs? I used red pepper flakes to discourage a neighbor's cat from using my mom's front door garden as a litter box. Also used the extra large mulch pieces to make it harder for a cat to dig in, but I know we are talking about dogs here. There used to be an effective granular dog repellant called "DogGone" (catchy, huh) that you could sprinkle on the ground around fresh plantings. Don't know if it is still made, or if it was safe for use around veggies.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My dog only digs where I've already dug. I just keep him inside when I'm working in the garden, at least until we get the fence up.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a triangle shaped garden in the dog yard. This usually stays safe unless something unusual happens (like my brother's visiting Lab!) This year, I think I am going to put an antique wheelbarrow in that garden and plant it full of annuals for some color... If the ground underneath gets wrecked- at least it will still look like something!

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have no problem in this area..when I want them out of the way I put them in the garden..they think they are in jail...and just lay by the gate waiting for me to come back..they are such babies, when they do get out they are so happy it's funny.."they just run and play like they have been locked up for months and it has been maybe 20 minutes...and they can see us the whole time...

Don

Latest posts