Dogs and plants

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my veggy garden has a 4foot fence all around it and my flower gardens have those foot high green fences you by at lowe's it keeps them out

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Indyanna said:
Does anyone else have trouble with their dogs getting into their gardens and landscaping? I'm not sure what to do. I have 2 dogs. Diesel is a Great Dane/Yellow Lab mix (110 lbs.) and Hayley is a Cavalier Spaniel/Bichon Frise mix (10 lbs.) Both of them trample over most things. Last fall I had to plant my peony tubules 3 times because Haley kept digging them up and bringing them indoors. I finally had to put a bucket over where I planted them until she lost interest. Any advice would be appreciated.
You can try an invisible fence-it costs around 300.00 plus more for a second collar. That's if you DIY. They are not hard to install. You can train them buy walking them around and giving them a collar correction when they step into the garden.(This takes time) You can use a fence. If they dig I have read where you give them a digging spot and bury toys etc.in that spot only.
Nothing is an easy task.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fence around my veggie garden, small fencing from home depot around my garlic bed and herb bed. My Lab and my sisters Cav both like to dig.

Indyanna

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the great ideas. I will definitely fence off a vegetable garden when I get that far - probably just tomatoes this year. I also think I would like some raised beds it appeals to my love for neatness (if you saw my house right now you would hurt yourself laughing!). Lesa - I love the idea of an antique wheelbarrow full of annuals. Hope to see a picture.

Latest posts