Done planting!!! How is your garden growing???

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Honeycomb, you say sugar is one of your big expenses...

Ever grow Sorghum? I believe VFEM is going to. Grows like Corn only easier. Ya read about folks making SORGHUM MOLASSES, and the folks making it. Sweet as honey when made right. A flavorful sugar substitute that really is sugar.

I believe a variety called "Dale" is one of the good varieties out there.

There are 100 year old mills still being found in barns being put back together. Never heard of one that uses electicity.

I believe a Lady named Sherry Leverich Tucker is quietly leading a regular Sorghum Revival.

Wellp, google up some of this. You may find sugar no longer one of your expenses in a year or two.

btw, sorghum is related to sugar cane but does not need to be grown in the topics...

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Honeycomb, you say sugar is one of your big expenses...

Ever grow Sorghum? I believe VFEM is going to. Grows like Corn only easier. Ya read about folks making SORGHUM MOLASSES, and the folks making it. Sweet as honey when made right. A flavorful sugar substitute that really is sugar.

I believe a variety called "Dale" is one of the good varieties out there.

There are 100 year old mills still being found in barns being put back together. Never heard of one that uses electicity.

I believe a Lady named Sherry Leverich Tucker is quietly leading a regular Sorghum Revival.

Wellp, google up some of this. You may find sugar no longer one of your expenses in a year or two.

btw, sorghum is related to sugar cane but does not need to be grown in the topics...
Very excited to hear this!! I will be googling today!! Thanks. Got my sweet potatoes planted. And harvested last years carrots for dinner getting the crock pot fired up and some fresh bread with the garden ready. Need to find a new project. Have a great day!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Potatoes are ready to be harvested!!! I am so excited, There seems to be at least 3 bags that are blooming and I hope to get photos of the harvest in a day or so!!!! There are too many bags to choose from!!
My veggies survived the 38 degree temps and every thing is off to a Great start!!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
For "sweet", you might want to look into keeping honeybees. There are several people on this forum who have bees. If I wasn't such a scaredy cat I would do it. Honey bees are pretty scarce around here now.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was going to get three beehives this year, but just got too busy with everything else. Hopefully I will have this chicken raising down a little better next spring and will be able to get bees.

But as to how the garden is growing...peas are up. The lettuce is out in the garden, but rain hammered the crap out of it. Everything else is still in the grow chamber waiting for the greenhouse to go up Saturday.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
I was going to get three beehives this year, but just got too busy with everything else. Hopefully I will have this chicken raising down a little better next spring and will be able to get bees.

But as to how the garden is growing...peas are up. The lettuce is out in the garden, but rain hammered the crap out of it. Everything else is still in the grow chamber waiting for the greenhouse to go up Saturday.
Bees!! I had Bees when iw as young!! I haven't had much thought about bees really i guess I should look into it!! I am ready to learn alot of things so look out Google here I come!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think I should get a DING in my message box anytime mine name is mentioned, haven't checked this thread in a bit! hahaha

the1honeycomb, I can't believe your potatoes are ready!? When did you plant? Mine are probably 3 weeks or more away still from being ready. :p

I am planting sorghum, I got about 50 seeds in today. I'll have at least 80 out of the 100 seeds I bought in I hope by the end of the week. I started my corn first, I was unsure about cross pollination since they are closely related. I'm excited to have the canes to crush to heat and make the syrup. But also really excited to have the grains from the seeds for the chickens, as well as flour and to plant more if this works out.

You know honeycomb, there is a bee farm in Coats that sell nucs to get you started if you decide to do bees. They are called LonePine Farms. Check them out!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted my potatoes in bags in the basement in February, When I harvest these I will put more in and have another harvest for August! I have a doz bags that were started at several different times and with several different species, some are almost ready I will only harvest one bag at a time as I need potatoes and store the rest at the end of the season for winter.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
I think I should get a DING in my message box anytime mine name is mentioned, haven't checked this thread in a bit! hahaha

the1honeycomb, I can't believe your potatoes are ready!? When did you plant? Mine are probably 3 weeks or more away still from being ready. :p

I am planting sorghum, I got about 50 seeds in today. I'll have at least 80 out of the 100 seeds I bought in I hope by the end of the week. I started my corn first, I was unsure about cross pollination since they are closely related. I'm excited to have the canes to crush to heat and make the syrup. But also really excited to have the grains from the seeds for the chickens, as well as flour and to plant more if this works out.
You know honeycomb, there is a bee farm in Coats that sell nucs to get you started if you decide to do bees. They are called LonePine Farms. Check them out!
I really, really wish you were a little closer. You do the neatest things and I would love to learn how.

Latest posts