dont go on a holiday

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
we had the brilliant idea on the way home from new york to go to Hershey world.....what a disappointment things have changed in 10 years, wow what a tourist trip it has become. at the gate you get a ticket ...the first 2.5 of parking is free after that it's 15.00.. yeah we had to pay it <we were 20mins over> the only thing in the place that is free was the ride on how chocolate is made, after that crack open the wallet and dig deep.
IMG_0869[1].JPG

of course you have to deal with the mass of tourist unknowing they are about to fell their wallets get lighter.. got this photo after waiting in line for 45 mins to this point..
IMG_0866[1].JPG
and it was another 45 mins waiting to get to the ride....felt like i was going to the slaughter house the way the line had you going back and forth....

AND THE RIDE SUCKED.........

they had everything you ever needed in candy and trinkets.,,,with a proud price....... i did good only spent 15.00..<on parking>wd and ds spent a ton....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good old American capitalism at work. Sounds like PT Barnum would approve. This is the land of opportunity. I think I'll take the opportunity to miss that one.

Seed, you like stories. This reminded me of a couple that bought a 100 acre place in New Mexico when they retired. They'd grown up in that area but left to make a living. He was a minister and we visited them. His wife and mine were good friends and still stay in touch.

Their plan was to keep horses, which they did. They looked into growing lavender so they could take some tax credits for it being a farm. That didn't pan out and they never planted any. From their research the way to make money in lavender was to grow it and process it into stuff you could sell at a roadside stand, maybe giving a tour of how it was grown and processed for a fee. They were not in a place where a roadside stand would attract that many people and they did not want to be on call all day everyday or hire someone to be. That sounded like a full time job and they were retired. Supposedly the profits didn't come from selling the lavender soap and other lavender products, those were to get the people in. Most if the profit came from the food and drinks you sold.

I suspect portions of that story were embellished but I think it still makes a good story.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good old American capitalism at work. Sounds like PT Barnum would approve. This is the land of opportunity. I think I'll take the opportunity to miss that one.

Seed, you like stories. This reminded me of a couple that bought a 100 acre place in New Mexico when they retired. They'd grown up in that area but left to make a living. He was a minister and we visited them. His wife and mine were good friends and still stay in touch.

Their plan was to keep horses, which they did. They looked into growing lavender so they could take some tax credits for it being a farm. That didn't pan out and they never planted any. From their research the way to make money in lavender was to grow it and process it into stuff you could sell at a roadside stand, maybe giving a tour of how it was grown and processed for a fee. They were not in a place where a roadside stand would attract that many people and they did not want to be on call all day everyday or hire someone to be. That sounded like a full time job and they were retired. Supposedly the profits didn't come from selling the lavender soap and other lavender products, those were to get the people in. Most if the profit came from the food and drinks you sold.

I suspect portions of that story were embellished but I think it still makes a good story.

this is pretty common to almost all stores these days including the fast food places. they make the most money off the soft drinks and side items that are very cheap to make in quantities.

when talking to people who sell vegetables for a living at a stand or a small store they say they make all their profit off selling deer feed, bird feed and candy and other things that they can come up with (garden ornaments, swingsets, potted plants, etc.).

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
My departed Uncle Dan was raised at the Hershey Home for Boys. His Mother had him, and couldn't take care of him, so off he went. This would have been in the late 30's when he was a little boy. He didn't fault his mom, and infact, she lived with him and my Aunt in her later years in Charlotte NC.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i can eat it, but if we have better on hand i'll eat that first - so i guess it is emergency rations. yes, i'm spoiled, i admit it. i used to make a lot of chocolates...

Latest posts