Don't share lunch at school

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@MoonShadows , maybe you misunderstood me. I am in no way defending the government education system. I simply take exception to your statement that most parents don't know how to educate their children. I'm sure the numbers and successes of the home educated kids would prove that. You don't have to be an "expert" to accomplish that. Just diligent, faithful, and know what your priorities are.

I commend you on your own apparent diligence and concern for 41 years.

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@thistlebloom, I didn't think you were defending the government educational system, and you are right when it comes to many home schooling parents, it's just that so many parents have a problem with discipline and structure when THEY are not the determining the structure or discipline. And, it has been shown over and over again that without structure and discipline, there can be no education. In my experiences with public school systems as opposed to private school systems, the parents have TOO much say in how things are done when most don't have a clue how things need to be done, but they have the power (school board) or the loudest mouth and can rally others, have an influential friend, or call the local newspaper.

As you said "Just diligent, faithful, and know what your priorities are." You are so right! But, our public school system takes that away from the people who are trained and have experience and puts it in the hands of many who are not diligent, faithful or know the priorities.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom Not to be hostile but most parents could care less about their children-let alone their formal education..

I've seen smart and un-educated children in both government schools and home schooled. No system is perfect, both do work but parents have to be involved in both.

Sad truth is most children are the results of 2 horny humans.....nothing profound as animals do it all the time.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You never know what thread topic may open a can of worms on here. I think we'd all do well to stay away from blanket statements and unnecessary generalizations.

Speaking of worms, I wonder if they still read How to Eat Fried Worms in third grade? That book really made an impression on me. Might have helped these younguns stay out of mischief. ;)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I realize that from my 30+ years in a small farming community, my experiences may be closer to Parochial than Public. While I was not the strictest teacher in the grade schools, I was the most caring and consistant. Where most teachers preferred to correct only their own students, I corrected anyone doing wrong, making it clear I was concerned first for their welfare.

If I did have reason to correct a child, I kept my reasoning positive and made sure to find reasons to speak to them later in the day/week and compliment them doing something right. For those reasons I seldom had a problem with disorderly students that couldn't be handled in the classroom or by contact with the parents.

It was when the administration became involved that the loudest squeak or the first squeak tended to be in the right. In that respect, MoonShadows is right. Administration bends to the will of the School Board.