Double Yoker

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
A little off topic, but...do you find that your chickens hang out together depending on color? I have three blackish chickens that hang out together, not all the same variety, two Easter eggers that hang out together, one welsummer that is a loner, and a white EE that hangs out with everyone. In past flocks, the girls definitely hung out with like varieties. How do they know? They were all purchased as day olds. There are no mirrors. ?.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A little off topic, but...do you find that your chickens hang out together depending on color? I have three blackish chickens that hang out together, not all the same variety, two Easter eggers that hang out together, one welsummer that is a loner, and a white EE that hangs out with everyone. In past flocks, the girls definitely hung out with like varieties. How do they know? They were all purchased as day olds. There are no mirrors. ?.
My ladies are all different colours, if I get anymore they will be a mix to. No racists will exist in my back garden ;)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it makes sense in various regards as if they are all about the same color and hanging out together it makes it harder for a predator to single out any one of them. at least that is my guess... :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
From what I've seen chickens raised together tend to hang together even after they are fully grown. Depending on where you get them, either from a hatchery or hatching them from your flock, chickens of a color just might be raised together. So that might be a component.

I have seen chickens form cliques based on personality. Some tend to be more cautious and hang close to the rooster or the coop. Other hens are more adventurous and tend to roam. I think this explains some of the cliques I've seen. Some of those cliques were of different colors and patterns.

Different breeds tend to have certain traits when it comes to personalities. While you can have different colors of the same breed we usually don;t do that. I'd kind of expect certain breeds to hang together because of shared traits. Leghorns tend to be skittish, Orpington not so much.

Chickens can see color. This may be a component too.

Latest posts