Drain Cleaning

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lickbranchfarm @majorcatfish @valley ranch or any other handy guys. How do I clear this drain?

My first step was to unscrew this pretty worthless stopper to get it out of the way.

DSCF4968.JPG

That left me with this, openings too small to get my snake in. What makes it worse is that the white bottom you see is plastic just a bit below the bottom of that obstruction. It opens toward the head of the tub. I managed to get one of those yellow sawtoothed "drain cleaners" down it and the first time brought back a clump of hair. After that one time it always came back clean. I can't see where the tub drain ties into the drain pipe from the vent but I'd think that drain cleaner was long enough to reach that. Maybe not.

DSCF4969.JPG

Next I unscrewed that vent cover and ran my snake through that plastic pipe, going well beyond where I'd expect the drain to enter. It always came back clean.

DSCF4967.JPG

There is a cut-out in the bedroom wall but that doesn't really give me access. That area is so tight I'm not sure I could get a wrench in there to use it to take that plastic pipe apart. Besides the only pipe I could take apart is above where that drain goes in under the tub (where I cannot see) and I ran a snake through that.

I tried using a plunger on it when it was backed up. There is not a complete blockage so I don't think it did any good.

Drainage improved a little after I removed that hair but it is still not where I think it should be. Do any of you know any tricks that I can get something through that white plastic pipe without causing a leak under the house? I can live with it as it is now if I have to, it's not worth calling a plumber, but if there is something I can do to improve it I'd love suggestions.

Ridge the 2nd photo you have there, that piece will also screw out. I have the same drain, and I just replaced mine. I had to scratch my head a few times until I went to Lowes to find a new stopper and seen the entire set-up for less than 20$. Screw that piece out and you have all the room you need. It may take a few choice words but it will come out.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh did forget to mention... if you have a shop vac put the hose over the drain that might suck out the clog..

fill the tub with some water, let it start draining then put the hose over it , do that a couple times you will be amazed what comes out..

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge the 2nd photo you have there, that piece will also screw out. I have the same drain, and I just replaced mine. I had to scratch my head a few times until I went to Lowes to find a new stopper and seen the entire set-up for less than 20$. Screw that piece out and you have all the room you need. It may take a few choice words but it will come out.

Why do I assume that piece had to be replaced by the time you got it out. Mine has been there 30 years and has obviously not been unscrewed recently. Do you recall what procedures and tools were most successful for you. Grabbing it by that center portion was not a great idea.

DSCF4970.JPG

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lickbranchfarm @majorcatfish @valley ranch or any other handy guys. How do I clear this drain?

My first step was to unscrew this pretty worthless stopper to get it out of the way.

View attachment 29245

That left me with this, openings too small to get my snake in. What makes it worse is that the white bottom you see is plastic just a bit below the bottom of that obstruction. It opens toward the head of the tub. I managed to get one of those yellow sawtoothed "drain cleaners" down it and the first time brought back a clump of hair. After that one time it always came back clean. I can't see where the tub drain ties into the drain pipe from the vent but I'd think that drain cleaner was long enough to reach that. Maybe not.

View attachment 29246

Next I unscrewed that vent cover and ran my snake through that plastic pipe, going well beyond where I'd expect the drain to enter. It always came back clean.

View attachment 29244

There is a cut-out in the bedroom wall but that doesn't really give me access. That area is so tight I'm not sure I could get a wrench in there to use it to take that plastic pipe apart. Besides the only pipe I could take apart is above where that drain goes in under the tub (where I cannot see) and I ran a snake through that.

I tried using a plunger on it when it was backed up. There is not a complete blockage so I don't think it did any good.

Drainage improved a little after I removed that hair but it is still not where I think it should be. Do any of you know any tricks that I can get something through that white plastic pipe without causing a leak under the house? I can live with it as it is now if I have to, it's not worth calling a plumber, but if there is something I can do to improve it I'd love suggestions.

View attachment 29245

View attachment 29246

View attachment 29244

View attachment 29245

View attachment 29246

View attachment 29244

View attachment 29245

View attachment 29246

View attachment 29244

Do you see the chrome part with 2 screws near the top of the bath tub ? Unscrew them and pull that part out... it will be attached to brass wire that controls a brass bell at the end ( it is a stopper on the drain). Insert a snake into the top now open pipe and clean out any gunk that may reside in the drain line. Follow that up with some Draino or similar chemical cleaner. re- assemble and you should be good to go. As for that now broken drain part... spray WD-40 generously onto the inside sides of the drain ... that is where the part has screw threads that are covered with calcium deposits. The WD-40 will desolve the calcium ( you may bave to do it several times to get all of it to deso.ve) then you can unscrew the cross piece and install a new one. Good luck.

Ridge if I remember correctly, I put my channel lock handles in there and used another pair of channel locks to turn it, it was pretty snug but came out in one piece.

Latest posts