Draining duck pool into veg garden...good idea?

pirtykitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We use the duck water in the corn, the cucumbers ( planted on fence) beans, squash, tomatoes,.. I told hubby we don't want it on the root crops... I used it last season on tomatoes , cucumbers, beans, watermelon, and cantalope..

We try to not splash it on the fruit but then just in case I was it before eating..

we have onions, beets, and radishes, oh and carrots.. as root crops..

mrsengeseth

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Water directly as is into the garden? Daily or weekly? or...?

My idea was to create what we call a "leach field" back home...under my vegetable patch. does that sound appropriate for this? Or is it simple enough to just pump the waste into watering cans or such? I can probably give away duck fertilizer to other gardeners too. If the leach field idea is not really plausable.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Melissa!

:D

Right now my flock is using a kiddie pool until i can get a bigger, better pump for their stock tank. I have just been scooping random buckets of mucky water and putting it on the beds prior to planting. Not exactly scientific, but my tomatoes went NUTS last year, so I will stick with my random schedule.

I think your "leach field" idea would work, but I have had friends ask for a 2 liter bottles of poopy duck water already. Watered down a bit it is great for house plants and patio containers. I gave a few away last year and it was a hit. So even if you build a leach field don't forget to fill a container now and again for friends.

mrsengeseth

Leafing Out
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Hi Melissa!

:D

Right now my flock is using a kiddie pool until i can get a bigger, better pump for their stock tank. I have just been scooping random buckets of mucky water and putting it on the beds prior to planting. Not exactly scientific, but my tomatoes went NUTS last year, so I will stick with my random schedule.

I think your "leach field" idea would work, but I have had friends ask for a 2 liter bottles of poopy duck water already. Watered down a bit it is great for house plants and patio containers. I gave a few away last year and it was a hit. So even if you build a leach field don't forget to fill a container now and again for friends.
i will do that. I had pretty good maters last year, but ANYTHING i can do to help them out, I am all for.