Dreaded cucumber beetle question.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . I worry about the poultry getting sick while they are free-ranging (even if they aren't allowed in the fenced-off veggie garden) plus it kills the beneficial insects along with the pests.….

Of course, about the best that can be said about Neem is that it has "limited" effect on beneficial insects. I like how one organic expert says that beneficials "scatter" before spraying and thus avoid the spray. Okay. Some pests "scatter" as well. But, I'm not sure if cucumber beetles are hanging out with any beneficials under the vines.

Pyrethrins are added to misting systems by the big poultry outfits and sprayed directly on the birds. They are used in dairy barns. They are used in meat packing buildings to kill flies. If insecticides are being used, I appreciate that they are short-term bug killers.

If the garden crop can be protected in ways other than insecticides, that's better.

Steve

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep, it's me, Steve. I was so frustrated with my garden last year that I took a break from even TEG! The bugs drove me nuts! Anyway, I'm ready to tackle another year of gardening and am excited to be back here with all of the other crazy gardeners!

Thanks so much for the replies everybody. It's so surprising to me that so many of you are able to pick the darn beetles off of your plants. One day we had a few and the next we had a few hundred! Maybe that was just a fluke year and we can manage it pick and squish this year?

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Haha! I will try not to get so frustrated again, Baymule. Keep your fingers crossed that those darned beetles are scarce this year.

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It's so surprising to me that so many of you are able to pick the darn beetles off of your plants. One day we had a few and the next we had a few hundred! Maybe that was just a fluke year and we can manage it pick and squish this year?
Ah well as a disclaimer I should admit that I don't grow cucumbers or squash and don't actually know what a cucumber beetle or squash bug is! When I talked about picking pests off, I was generalizing. I do spend about an hour a day picking a variety of caterpillars, horn worms, aphids etc off the plants in my garden but probably have never encountered a cucumber beetle. Maybe my tune would change if I did :hide. I still don't plan to have cucumbers this year but will be growing some zucchini so maybe I'll find out what a squash bug is….

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
A cucumber beetle looks like a lime green ladybug. About the same size, can be spotted or striped, actually kinda pretty, but SMASH them!

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
A cucumber beetle looks like a lime green ladybug. About the same size, can be spotted or striped, actually kinda pretty, but SMASH them!
Oh wow - have definitely never seen one of them! Do they visit plants other than cucumbers?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes they do, corn, squashes, pumpkins, melons to name a few. Google them to learn more and find some pictures.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It's war this year, last year I lost all vine crops. Everything in the book. On the plus side, the kudzu stink bugs were fewer last year, after swarming everything the year before.
Baymule, I just googled your bug and we don't have it.

Latest posts