Dream about Hoodat.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife spoke English fluently but she has forgotten it now. She only recognizes Japanese so I hired a Japanese girl to come speak to her for an hour each week. It seems to cheer her up. When she started getting tired of being asked about her early life I told the girl to speak to her as though she were a friend speaking across the kitchen table. I cleared out so they could talk woman talk (women don't talk freely when a man is around) and she jabbered away the whole hour. She looked like she was really enjoying herself.

Someone to serve as a "visiting angel?"

That's great Hoodat! So much of who we are is tied up in our language and the words we choose to use.

Imagine being incapacitated and being somewhere you couldn't communicate with words and others couldn't share their thoughts and intentions with you ... that would be such a sad existence.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@hoodat You are so sweet. You wife is very lucky to have you doing such things to make her happy. What a fabulous Idea to have some one that speaks her 1st language visit.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is a wonderful idea Hoodat! A great way to engage her mind and allow her to participate once again!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom spoke Polish as a child and refused to speak anything but English when she became a teen. We hired a polish women to care for her a few hours at a time and her polish skills returned and it was very comforting to her. It is such a strange disease memories are retrieved in reverse. You are a good man, hoodat.