Drooping Elderberry

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last week, the elderberry started to send up 3 new shoots near the ground on it's trunk. This morning these shoots are drooping. When I first noticed the drooping, I checked with several master gardeners in town and they have no clue of what is causing this but followed their suggestions that they thought might work. So, the prognosis is not good for this elderberry. The other one is just fine and loaded with berries that are almost ripe .

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's not a lot you can do. I don't know what the current protocol is, but there used to be a soil fumigant that had only limited success. The best thing is to plant resistant varieties because once you have VW in the soil, you'll always have it.

I have helped several trees that were diagnosed as probable VW (no way to tell for certain without a lab test) by certified arborists.
The product I use has been mocked and called "snake oil" by those same arborists who I consult with on many of my clients properties, but there is no denying the results.

For instance there was a row of very old cedars that were looking poor that the arborists said were looking bad because they were old, and "that's what cedars do". Today they are healthy and full. A few of the mature Japanese maples on a particular job were dying off one branch at a time on one side of the trunk. Today those trees have stopped losing branches and are full of healthy leaves. I'm not saying it cures VW, but it does seem to give the trees a boost to help new growth.

It maybe snake oil, but the trees and shrubs I use it on have certainly turned around.

Here's a link.

Latest posts