Duck sexing

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
bluelacedredhead said:
According to Feathersite, with all domestic breeds except Muscovies, there are two main clues. First is that, by about 10 weeks of age, the voice of the female is a loud quack, while that of the male is soft and whispery. Second, later on the males develop a curled feather (the drake feather) on top of the tail.

Since your ducklings are at the most, 6 weeks of age, you have a little longer to wait until these changes take place.

They are very cute BTW.
That's right The pekins should already be showing early signs of these 'sexers', but the Phineas and Ferb should take a while longer. I would aim at June for them and sooner for the Pekins.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well... I'm 100% positive that one of the Pekins is a female... she never stops quacking!! LOL

I THOUGHT I heard a quack out of one of the Mallards the other day, but I couldn't be certain...

And I really have no idea if they pure mallard... I'm pretty sure they're some sort of cross... but whatevs... :p

So Det... you're pretty sure I have a M&F pair? I really just don't want any fighting between the ducks... or for them to be aggressive towards myself or the kids.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The drakes may fight, but they really have absolutely no way of inflicting harm on each other. The greys are as far as anyone would be able to tell from this point, M&F.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Woooohooooooo!!! I really hope so! I would really like to be able to keep all o them.:)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I don't sex my baby chicks bc I don't want to injure them--they are SO little-- (chickens, not ducks), BUT I do butcher my birds, so this may help. Look for the male sex organ, which is a whitish spherical organ about the size of a large marble, located adjacent to the vent, but upper, not lower and inside of the vent. This is where the rooster's have theirs. Your ducks are old enough to examine without hurting them. I don't know ducks, but I'd be surprised if their anatomy differs much from chickens.
I agree about the Mallards--males have a green hood and, I think, a ring separating the other feathers. I know what you mean about BYC. Every minute the recent posts resets for a new group of questions. However, go to your profile and set it so that you'll be notified of answers to threads you have started or posting on. This will arrive on your email, and give you a shortcut link to that thread. Hope this helps, from a Forum Addict, here and (right now) on Horse Forum.com **ducks4you is embarrassed to ADMIT this addiction**

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
I don't sex my baby chicks bc I don't want to injure them--they are SO little-- (chickens, not ducks), BUT I do butcher my birds, so this may help. Look for the male sex organ, which is a whitish spherical organ about the size of a large marble, located adjacent to the vent, but upper, not lower and inside of the vent. This is where the rooster's have theirs. Your ducks are old enough to examine without hurting them. I don't know ducks, but I'd be surprised if their anatomy differs much from chickens.
I agree about the Mallards--males have a green hood and, I think, a ring separating the other feathers. I know what you mean about BYC. Every minute the recent posts resets for a new group of questions. However, go to your profile and set it so that you'll be notified of answers to threads you have started or posting on. This will arrive on your email, and give you a shortcut link to that thread. Hope this helps, from a Forum Addict, here and (right now) on Horse Forum.com **ducks4you is embarrassed to ADMIT this addiction**
Alright, suprise! Drakes, unlike cocks, have a [most of this post removed due to graphic disgustingness and such] so it's much easier to tell.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
In fact, I have a drake right now who is in danger of death because his [most of this post removed due to graphic disgustingness and such] and is dangling about due to P/P. Might have to kill him. That's why you keep a backup drake. P/P is nasty. And just think of how he feels about it!

Latest posts