DUCKS for THEE in 2023

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Sunday, I made a turkey pot pie.
I couldn't talk eldest DD into another turkey hash from recent frozen turkey leftovers. She INSISTED on a turkey pot pie. Didn't have enough carrots or corn and no celery frozen, so I started Sunday cooking down a handful of turkey bones with a package of corn to make some new broth, then cooked in a quart of my turkey broth with 4 new carrots, 4 stalks of celery and one onion and reduced the liquid then added to the defrosted turkey, mashed potatoes, some carrots and some gravy. Put it all together, made 2 crusts, then a turkey pot pie 35 minutes later.
Made one turkey pot pie for Sunday, and another for yesterday. There was so much for Sunday, that I froze enough for 2 more pot pies. You know, this is how you STRETCH your turkey meat?!?
(That comment was meant for my DD.)
Anyway, there were 2/8 slices leftover for me for today.
Funny, when I brought the pie to DD's house and put the pie on the table, YOUNGEST DD was bugged eyed thinking I made a cherry pie for her.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
They're sooo tempting! We actually drove through the seed section today while getting our pH meter. It went something like this:
DD: Do we need broccoli seeds?
Me, whistful: I have 3 varieties.
DD: What about cucumbers:
Me: I have 4 varieties, probably can't even plant them all.
DD: Wow, look at those tomato seeds!
Me: That's the one we grew last year...remember those ones?
DD: :sick
Me: :sick

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, I MADE my seed list. DH announced that he needed 3 things for the cruise:
1) stains our of white tuxedo shirt (working on that, although they are old stains)
2) white handkerchiefs
3) pair of slipon canvas shoes
Ya know, in this crummy economy lots of people are trying to make their driving trips count. I have been doing this ever since we moved 40 minutes outside of town...in 2000.
I really needed to replace my small wheelbarrow. I have been replacing parts on it since 2021, and now the axle is screaching when you push it.
I cleaned 2/3 stalls yesterday morning and decided it needed retirement. Parked it by the carraige house under the eaves, went in and porched with DH, who agreed to give me cash for my new wheelbarrow. I said I would shop for #2 and #3.
Stupidly, I thought I could find the shoes and handerchiefs at WM, which was first on my route. Shoes were AWFUL, and they only carry bandanas now. :confused:
Wheelbarrow would have to be ordered.
Bought myself lunch, then called Farm and Fleet from the parking lot to see if they carried white handerchiefs in their inventory, and they said, "yes."
Found the handkerchiefs then spotted a decent pair of dk brown treated leather slipons with non slip tread for DH! I had to get a clerk to find the mate bc there was only one size 12 shoe in the box. I had meant to buy seeds and use my $20 gift card and to pick up a 50 pound trace mineral salt block for the ponies.
I will have a whole week for shopping, so those can wait.
I did buy 2 packages of seeds, one (I think) is blue oatgrass, and another package of watermelon radish.
They were both on my list and I paid cash for them.
I found my 6 cu ft wheelbarrow at Menard's and it's waiting in my garage as assembly.
At WM I found a clearance red plaid flannel shirt for DH, $3
Made DH very happy yesterday.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took advantage of Wednesday's 65 degrees and low breeze to plant my 3' x 6' bed (seen in previous post.)
I planted (all old seeds):
spinach, carrots, black radish, lettuce and carrots
I covered them in old chicken wire to keep out the birds.
Today, we are getting about 3 inches of rain today, so well watered.
Rarely does Ducks time it this well. ;)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good deals! You did a good job of shopping. It's still cold here and frozen at night.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
@heirloomgal , this seed list is for seeds I probably Don't need, just want.
I will update you as soon as I buy them.
Yesterday March was a lion. Guess that's okay bc our lamb is in the freezer! (The one I bought last Fall.)
Horses were in the barn yesterday and didn't notice the storm at All. I am paying for dumping extra bedding in one of the stalls without cleaning it. So far I have removed 7 wheelbarrow's worth of soiled bedding from his stall. I probably will have 3 more to remove from this stall and 2 more from the other stalls, but today is 52 degrees F, scarcely a breeze and sunny.
We have small debris on the grass from the 60mph winds of mostly rain, then a driving snow, maybe 1/4 inch worth.
The storm blew in one of my porch windows. They are all old and if I had a $windfall I would replace all 10 of them, but this one had been repaired from a broken glass window to plexiglass, which is my go-to every time I lose a 100+yo window at my place. It costs more but nobody has a trip to the ER and I believe that it's worth that.
DH says he will tape it together for me, then I'll figure out a solution this summer.
Gotta another few more minutes before I tackle the rest of the pony muck!
Tis the season for AccuRadio Celtic!! ☘️

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
1677959608760.png

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
TODAY it will be 68 degrees mid afternoon, Ponies stayed outside last night. They will stay outside tonight, too bc it's warm and it gives me time to spot clean stalls AND do other things.
The storm rained down sticks and twigs and small branches. I am planning a firepit burn late afternoon with DH.

Latest posts