Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Feeling like this today, what with the benedryl making me nod off~
Black-Sheep-e1526268506530.jpeg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
For your edification, I am researching aGain--gotta kill some time today. I keep getting this add for seed starter cells that don't break. I must admit, when I have bought flats with plants in the past I have broken a few of these, but usually when I manhandle them. Most of my tomatoes this year came out of the cells easily, and I picked them up by their stems.:eek:
I looked through their recommendations. I guess it's a "to each his own" as far as preferences go, but I won't use peat pots and I have had little success with expandable peat pellets which have an expandable layer of plastic like webbing. I may still have a few kicking around hanging in a plastic grocery bag on my shelving unit. I will use up what I have, but peat has been over harvested.
On a happier note, there is a rise in tall domes. I simply LOVE the one I bought on a whim a few years ago. It is covering my peppers and there is plenty of room for them to grow in it. I could use two more of them which might be bought this week now that they are back in stock.
Funny, Farm and Fleet shut down their garden center about 7 years ago, but are advertising A garden center this year. I will have to check it out.
The vents are my big dome (see the peppers) are permanent, however, and that might be a problem for you.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was surprised to hear on "Growing a Greener World" that chemical fertilizers contain salt.
I am not bashing the large scale use of them bc I understand that chemical fertilizers sustain 2 billion people through agriculture.
Just thought I'd research the subject.
Solutions to our problems are laughable, like the comment here AND same solution on a garden program, using salt to kill slugs.
There are two ways to kill slugs:
1) surround with copper which produces a small electric shock
OR
2) bury an open cheap can of beer
I have done #2 with great success, when I had a 1/4 acre shaded lot.
#1 would work well until you neighbor sees the current price of copper and steals it. :lol:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sad to hear that pear trees can be invasive!
:hit
I have a Bartlett Pear and on MY property if a plant or tree will spread it DOES. My pear has not tried to spread and it showered me with 50 pears in 2022.
HOWEVER, some non native pear trees have become a real problem.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a Bartlett Pear and on MY property if a plant or tree will spread it DOES. My pear has not tried to spread and it showered me with 50 pears in 2022.
I planted 2 native plum trees and I could have a plum tree forest if I wanted. The plums only get the size of a walnut.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm losing over half of the remaining trees in my yard, after losing all of the beautiful American elms years ago. So to me, any tree which can survive & spread to fill the gaps is welcome. Invasive pears??? YES!!! :celebrate My lone pear tree had quite a few pears last year, but most of them mildewed & rotted. :( Not many flowers this year.

Besides mulberries, I'm actually considering planting some black locust, if they can survive the poorly-drained soil on my back lot. I get plenty of free black locust seedlings in my garden every year, from the neighbor's tree across the street.

And tried wild plum seedlings several years ago. Those spread through suckers underground, forming large thickets, and make great natural barriers. There is a thicket near my rural garden, with a 20' mowed area between... a few suckers still manage to come up every year.

Oh, and the plum seedlings I planted? Mowed by the deer, every last one. :( They might survive if I caged them for a few years, deer don't seem to damage the established thickets.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bradford pears are pretty when blooming, pretty in the fall when the leaves change colors, that’s about it. They have tiny, marble sized pears that are good for nothing. They make a mess if planted in a yard. They spread and grow wild on the forest fringes. I’m not a fan of Bradford pears.

Don’t like locust trees either. Long thorns that can flatten a tractor tire, they are not my friend! Got a big one in the front fence row, marked for demolition. Got small ones trying to gain a foothold in the back pasture, going to cut them and poison them at same time.

Latest posts