DUCKS for THEE in 2023

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
In 2021 I had a bumper crop of tomatoes. I canned plain sauce, spaghetti sauce, salsa, even made some BBQ sauce-2 different recipes. I finally ran out of my canned tomato sauce last month when I made a pot of venison chili. :hit

I hope you have a huge crop of tomatoes and can lots of good things to eat!

I also dehydrated tomatoes and put them in jars. Crumbled over salads, they are delicious or just to snack on!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In 2021 I had a bumper crop of tomatoes. I canned plain sauce, spaghetti sauce, salsa, even made some BBQ sauce-2 different recipes. I finally ran out of my canned tomato sauce last month when I made a pot of venison chili. :hit

I hope you have a huge crop of tomatoes and can lots of good things to eat!

I also dehydrated tomatoes and put them in jars. Crumbled over salads, they are delicious or just to snack on!
We are toying with purchasing one of the fancy dehydrators that would have a fan. Currently we have one of the old round dehydrators, the kind with plastic trays that you have to rotate during the drying process. Which kind of dehydrator do you use for drying tomatoes Baymule?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am going to enjoy your stories bc both of my dehydrators are dead and gone.
I transplanted probably a total of ~100 baby tomatoes in the last 2 days.
I documented and we will watch as some tomato soldiers don't make it, but I think I will be able to get enough of these baby beefsteaks to get a good harvest. ALL of them are in places with some protection and it looks like the lowest low in the next week is 49 degrees F. The photos are self explanatory. There was a little bit of transplant shock, but not with all of them.

Attachments

• 18 Tomatoes up potted top of fridge wiith heat mat and wate, next to peppersr, 05-04-23.jpg
    18 Tomatoes up potted top of fridge wiith heat mat and wate, next to peppersr, 05-04-23.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Tomatoes up potted on south shelf of porch with water, 05-04-23, #3.jpg
    Tomatoes up potted on south shelf of porch with water, 05-04-23, #3.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Tomatoes up potted on south shelf of porch with water, 05-04-23, #2.jpg
    Tomatoes up potted on south shelf of porch with water, 05-04-23, #2.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Tomatoes up potted on east shelf of porch with water, 05-04-23.jpg
    Tomatoes up potted on east shelf of porch with water, 05-04-23.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Tomatoes planted in big planter on porch with plastic garbage bag as cover, 05-04-23.jpg
    Tomatoes planted in big planter on porch with plastic garbage bag as cover, 05-04-23.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Tomatoes planted in big planter on porch after spraying, 05-04-23.jpg
    Tomatoes planted in big planter on porch after spraying, 05-04-23.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Tomato up potted on south shelf of porch with water, 05-04-23, #2.jpg
    Tomato up potted on south shelf of porch with water, 05-04-23, #2.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 44

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
...more...

Attachments

• Tomatoes up potted top row of indoor shelving with heat mat and wate, next to peppersr, 05-04-23.jpg
    Tomatoes up potted top row of indoor shelving with heat mat and wate, next to peppersr, 05-04-23.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Tomatoes up potted in 2nd row of indoor shelving with heat mat and water, 05-04-23.jpg
    Tomatoes up potted in 2nd row of indoor shelving with heat mat and water, 05-04-23.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Tomatoes up potted in 3rd row of indoor shelving with heat mat and water, 05-04-23.jpg
    Tomatoes up potted in 3rd row of indoor shelving with heat mat and water, 05-04-23.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Tomatoes up potted in bottom row of indoor shelving with heat mat and water, 05-04-23.jpg
    Tomatoes up potted in bottom row of indoor shelving with heat mat and water, 05-04-23.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 34

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Duck is the QUEEN of gardening trash!!! :lol:
I will leave most of these to just watering for the next 2 weeks. Some may be moved to my basement window wells as the first soldiers to get acclimated.
NEXT time I am going to put multiple seeds in 2inch round pots to start with.
Tomatoes are tough and most didn't mind me ripping their roots away from a neighbor.
The tomatoes on the fridge will be moved to the basement top shelf this weekend bv I want to keep a better eye on my peppers.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Invest in an Excalibur. It will last your lifetime.

Exactly.

We are toying with purchasing one of the fancy dehydrators that would have a fan. Currently we have one of the old round dehydrators, the kind with plastic trays that you have to rotate during the drying process. Which kind of dehydrator do you use for drying tomatoes Baymule?
Excalibur. 9 tray. I also ordered 9 solid sheets, they were extra, but worth it. I regret that I didn’t get the one with a timer. I love my Excalibur dehydrator!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I paid somewhere around $300 for my 9 tray Excalibur and bought solid sheets for all 9 trays. I just looked them up. In light of the screaming inflation we were gifted with, practically overnight, I expected prices to be much higher. I was pleasantly surprised.

Ducks, haven’t you perfected the OOPS!!! Yet? As in OOPS!! I DROPPED it and it busted in tiny pieces! ( maybe helped a tiny bit when I stomped on it) Innocently— I guess the poor thing was just so OLD and BRITTLE!! I’m so UPSET that it’s BROKEN!! Oh dear! Now what do I do!!!

BEA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!

Latest posts