Duck's New Ragtag garden, Version 2020

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
These are the two beds that flank my sidewalk to the front door. I put in a few perennials, most mostly annuals. DD gave me the sedums and I was surprised that 3 were growing in the small pot, so I separated them. One of my rhubarbs is shading the sedum and somewhat shading the rose, but I don't think it will matter.
The iris were in so tight that I pulled some blue phlox out that was trying to grow in between them. I transplanted them in my north side sidewalk bed bc the one there was trying to die on me.:

Attachments

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Not much gardening to report. Chopped down a fenceline of burdock today, mowed aGAIN---VERY wet Summer, aGAIN. Mowed where I need to attach the old cattle fencing, south yard fenceline. The fencing is kinda crumpled so I took an old metal fencepost, minus the "heart" and lower part, pretty rusty really, tied a nylon strap to it and hooked it to my riding mower to pull as straight as possible, parked the mower and attached to 3 fenceposts. Hopefully I will have the newer pieces up by Sunday. Only been working on this project since February, and I put it down for months, but Eva wanders onto the neighbors property this way, and that neighbor doesn't like us anymore, so it's necessary.
Hate to admit that I would have a horse problem, but my big horse wasn't listening and spooking me, so I prayed for and FOUND a Great horse trainer. She doesn't LOOK like a horse trainer, or even an athlete, BUT, she had to leave her horse in another state, and HER horse is the same height, but about 200 pounds heavier, half draft. She has no fear of my gelding at all, has a wonderful way with my horse and we have had 3 great sessions so far. She is coming out again Saturday. We both concluded that my horse is spoiled, but that he DID enjoy himself throughout testing her. I got a good look at his "crowhop", which, to the horse people here feels nothing more that kicking at a fly with a back leg. She lunged him, I lunged him, he was dripping wet, but didn't want any water when we stopped and tied him in the shade for a break. We only worked in the morning bc the heat indexes were over 100 degrees F on Saturday. Finished each session with a "gentleman", happy to follow us around.
I am Thrilled to be getting my horse back. SHE is super happy to have a horse to ride. I think after the next session I am ready to ride him again.
We retreated to the AC, HE went to his stall, probably to take a nap. We had the best sandwiches, Barouche buns, ham, turkey, salami, 2 kinds of cheese and pretty good tomatoes with mayo, and chips. Repeat the same lunch This Saturday.
And, yes, gaited horses trot And pace (which is what you are looking at,) as well as their particular special gait.
Sweet Cup and Cakes, 07-18-2020.jpg

Latest posts