Duck's New Ragtag garden, Version 2020

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the fleas under control this year. Eva has a new Seresto collar, Pyg is on Nexgard, a fed through, and all 7 cats were treated June 1st. I shampooed the carpets and added flea dip to the shampoo. The old Seresto collar is in the sweeper bag and I have a new cheapo one waiting to be cut in pieces for same. When you sweep, you sweep up flea eggs and even a cheap flea collar will kill them in an enclosed space.
All I need do now is spray the cloth furniture with Adams flea spray. DH is the barometer. If nothing is biting him, we don't have fleas.
There are products you can spray in yard to further kill ticks, fleas and mosquitoes.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Seems I am not getting enough planting done, BUT, we are having an interesting summer. DD's decided last winter that they wanted to air out, repair where necessary, and properly store the tents that we used to use when DH and I (and DD's) did our 26 years of Civil War Reenacting. The last photo is our Wall tent. Some of the tent poles have been...aHem...repurposed, so this was the best we could do.
We were Union Cavalry/attached to Union Infantry. Don't ever think the hobby will ever recover. Nobody will let
A N Y B O D Y put up a Confederate flag for any reason, anymore. Still, this is my yard for the next week. Our family/Reenactor friends' joke is that This is "Billie Creek, 2020."

Attachments

• CW tents aired, 06-06-2020, #1.jpg
    CW tents aired, 06-06-2020, #1.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 193
  • CW tents aired, 06-06-2020, #2.jpg
    CW tents aired, 06-06-2020, #2.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 186
  • CW tents aired, 06-06-2020, #3.jpg
    CW tents aired, 06-06-2020, #3.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 204
  • CW tents aired, 06-06-2020, #4.jpg
    CW tents aired, 06-06-2020, #4.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 196
  • CW tents aired, 06-06-2020, #5.jpg
    CW tents aired, 06-06-2020, #5.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 217

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Notice the tent that looks like a teepee. That is a "Sibley tent," created to look so, staked instead of held up with poles. It has a center ridge pole and is staked with railroad spikes. Ours needs a 3 ft skirting around the bottom, but we bought it like this and never got around to it.
Behind it is my Worthless peach tree. Just read some articles on pruning it, and I DO intend to take about 40% of live wood off in the next few weeks. Didn't realize that winter pruning isn't beneficial to a peach tree. We will see if it decides to bear fruit for me. Otherwise, I am ready to give it the chain saw at it's base next year and start over.
Fruit trees beware!!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
So what are you going to do with the tents now? Haha, you could put them up, put them on Air B&B for "guests" camping.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I poisoned under the pine trees, the ones you see by the tents. Also weeded the east bed in front of the house and poisoned there, too, then into town.
Yesterday I bought 7 sweet red peppers, 2 jalepanos, one mini rose and a clearance foxglove for DD's yard, which I planted when I drove the truck to their house for dinner. DD's had cleared out the ~100yo 4 drawer wooden filing cabinet and had loaded it in the truck, along with a very old, wooden triangular corner unit, the one with a 2 drawer cabinet on the bottom, looks a lot like this one:
1591726028700.png

They loaded and they UNloaded, and I planted the foxglove.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I transplanted ALL 10 peppers, the mini rose, 7 wax begonias, leftover from another bed--no room for them there--and 3 yellow sedums, which I had to look up to see what it, They, were. Other DD gave it to me for Mother's Day. I was surprised that the pot held 3 of them. Dunno yet whether they are upright or spreading, just perennial, and that's good enough for me. I lost 3 mums from last year and needed some perennial replacements.
I accidentally dug out some tulips, but I left them under the leaves of my rhubarb on the front sidewalk bed, to replant in the next week.
I was happy to be able to dig out some weeds.
The torrents of rain came in 30 minutes after the planting. Couldn't have timed it better!
I am SURE that @Prairie Rose got in on some of this rain, the remnants of Tropical Depression Christobel.
Saw about 1/2 a dozen beets up, before the rain came.
Cleaning up on the porch I found some more garlic to plant, and will go out in between the pouring rain to get them in, too.

Latest posts