Duck's New Ragtag garden, Version 2020

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bricks, cement blocks, cinder blocks, it’s all good. LOL

Do you have something against my pavers? :p

When I moved in in Arkansas the previous owner left a lot of brick and pavers behind. Both came in very handy. So, yes, it's all good. For example, to make a compost bin.

Compost.JPG

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday, DH went out to top off the weeds in the North Pasture. 2 hours later and he said he should have taken out the bush hogger, the grass was so thick in many places! This pasture was a corn field in 1999, and my horses planted any grass there. When we had a drought clover took over the middle of it. By knocking down the weeds we are fertilizing it and with all of the rain this Spring, it has really taken off. Good thing. My South Pasture is one that needs work.
Yesterday, I started the day with the push mower and the riding mower in the 1 acre yard so that we could use the tractor to finish. My mowing took me 90 minutes.
First thing, however, was to plant the one purchased Jalepano Pepper plant, which I caged next to the 12 others. I have been digging out curly dock in the 1 acre yard and burning it in my firepit. A big burn is planned for today, so I will kick the horses off of the South Pasture to drag more limbs out, ALSO a clean up job from the huge volunteer tree that my friend chopped down in 2018. Gotta clear them so that I can mow and clean up the burdock mess there.
I DID get planting done yesterday!
North of the garage bed, 05-30-2020, #1.jpg

I used my spade to dig the perimeters of the two beds north of the garage. I dug up a 3 ft diameter varigated hosta, then tilled the areas.
North of the garage bed, 05-30-2020, #2.jpg

It is a Bear to divide these hostas!!! I even soaked it in a bucket for several hours, but still hard to divide.
I transplanted about a dozen pieces divided into the two beds. I also planted impatiens and wax begonias.
North of the garage beds, 05-30-2020.jpg

Today, I am planting garlic there, the only ones I could buy, since nobody sold them last Fall. I will see if any grow bulbs this summer, then replant the bulbs Properly this Fall for 2021.

Attachments

• Hosta soaking, 05-30-2020.jpg
    Hosta soaking, 05-30-2020.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 203

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the bed left of the walkway, you will notice a big stone, which was part of the previous fencing, cement with a broke piece of metal sticking out of it, which I dug up and moved from my horse's turnout and "planted" upside down in this bed. I planted gladiolas there in 2019, then mulched heavily last Fall, and they came back. I transplanted deep red lilies in the LH corner. There is a huge hosta and lemon daylily, too.
Right of the walkway is another varigated hosta, another lemon daylily, LOTV which has filled in nicely, and one of several volunteer Rose of Sharon. Also a patch of black iris.
Those annuals will get quite big by the end of the season, so I gave them room to grow. I still have about a dozen of them, so I guess they can go into the 2 beds in the front yard, by the sidewalk.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saturday I wore out. I moved probably 25 limbs from the South Pasture and burned them, then took the riding mower and knocked down burdock. Had to mow in the south yard, where I had raised the crowns of the pine trees, now fully engulfed in burdock and other weeds. I Thought I had messed up my mower bc I ran over a piece of fencing, but, fortunately, it had only caught on the bottom of the deck in the front and I was able to free it. Mower is fine.
Today I poison the whole area and put up the fencing.
Tomorrow I will have to be up this early bc we hit 90...at 6PM.
ONLY the tomato plants and peppers will love this.
I also burned out one of my gro lights.

Attachments

• Fridge gro light bulb, June 1, 2020.jpg
    Fridge gro light bulb, June 1, 2020.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good luck with the garlic....If you can't get more bulbs to grow this year, I have a patch that is naturalizing and can send you some bulbs. I don't remember the variety, but it keeps well and is tasty.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the fleas under control this year. Eva has a new Seresto collar, Pyg is on Nexgard, a fed through, and all 7 cats were treated June 1st. I shampooed the carpets and added flea dip to the shampoo. The old Seresto collar is in the sweeper bag and I have a new cheapo one waiting to be cut in pieces for same. When you sweep, you sweep up flea eggs and even a cheap flea collar will kill them in an enclosed space.
All I need do now is spray the cloth furniture with Adams flea spray. DH is the barometer. If nothing is biting him, we don't have fleas.