Duck's New Ragtag garden, Version 2020

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I too have learned a lot of good things from various Extension offices over the years. When I was gardening in California & was looking into growing chayote squash, UC Davis provided me with a very helpful growing guide. The Master Gardener class I took 20 years ago was sponsored by the Extension, and taught both conventional and organic methods... which was pretty progressive back then. I first learned of the Seed Savers Exchange through them, which set my feet on the path to seed stewardship. And I spoke to the local Extension agent for tips when I first began growing & evaluating soybeans.

There is no doubt that many if not all of the Extension agents are experts in their fields, and my comments should not be misconstrued to demean them. To the contrary, I continue to recommend them as a reliable knowledge base... which is the reason I was so taken aback by such obviously-wrong comments regarding squash seed saving. Regardless of whatever expertise this particular panelist may have had, it appears they were operating outside their knowledge base. I really wish I could have viewed that webinar, so I could have evaluated the information presented in its proper context.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I too have learned a lot of good things from various Extension offices over the years. When I was gardening in California & was looking into growing chayote squash, UC Davis provided me with a very helpful growing guide. The Master Gardener class I took 20 years ago was sponsored by the Extension, and taught both conventional and organic methods... which was pretty progressive back then. I first learned of the Seed Savers Exchange through them, which set my feet on the path to seed stewardship. And I spoke to the local Extension agent for tips when I first began growing & evaluating soybeans.

There is no doubt that many if not all of the Extension agents are experts in their fields, and my comments should not be misconstrued to demean them. To the contrary, I continue to recommend them as a reliable knowledge base... which is the reason I was so taken aback by such obviously-wrong comments regarding squash seed saving. Regardless of whatever expertise this particular panelist may have had, it appears they were operating outside their knowledge base. I really wish I could have viewed that webinar, so I could have evaluated the information presented in its proper context.
AS SOON AS she posts both Webinars, I will post the links on this thread. :D

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the comment about organic gardening being a lot of work is funny, but that would be true for people who think they have to do full tilling every season and doing all sorts of gimmicky things. if you keep it simple i've found that it is less work. that's really the only way i can do as much area as i am doing each season. if it were more work i'd not be getting it done.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
The two Webinars have not been posted yet, but here is the link to their Webinars that ARE currently posted:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to harvest before several frosts/freezes. Here are the red sweet peppers I harvested on Sunday. We made the penultimate stuffed peppers with these red ones, and will have one more meal with the others. All that are left will go into chili making tomorrow, then be dehydrated.

Attachments

• Sweet peppers harvest before the freeze, 10-25-2020.jpg
    Sweet peppers harvest before the freeze, 10-25-2020.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Stuffed Peppers, 10-26-2020.jpg
    Stuffed Peppers, 10-26-2020.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 121

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Used my pressure canner...SUCCESSFULLY!!!!! I canned 10 jars of Saturday night's batch of chili, in pints. I wanted to can in quarts, but I decided to use brand new jars, and I couldn't find the quarts.
We ate two stuffed pepper meals, and I am now running my dehydrator with the rest. Then, I will be dehydrating banana and jalepanoes.

Attachments

• Pressure canner, now USED!!, cleaned up for storage, 11-02-2020, #1.jpg
    Pressure canner, now USED!!, cleaned up for storage, 11-02-2020, #1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 129

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
The box was toast, so into the burn barrel it went. Cleaned up the pressure canner and stored, every piece with it, including the instruction manual.

Attachments

• Pressure canner old box, 11-01-2020.jpg
    Pressure canner old box, 11-01-2020.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Pressure canner, now USED!!, ready for storage, 11-02-2020, #1.jpg
    Pressure canner, now USED!!, ready for storage, 11-02-2020, #1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 123

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put the instruction manual, weight jiggle thing and extra tray inside for storage. I named mine The Beast and The Beast lives in a lower cabinet that is tall and deep enough to accommodate it.

Latest posts