Duck's New Ragtag garden, Version 2020

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks, what is your elevation above sea level? That 10 psi is at sea level. You may need to adjust that up a bit. When I was in Arkansas my pressure was 11.5 psi. Down here at sea level it is 10.

At sea level water boils at 212* F. If you go up in elevation water boils at a lower temperature due to air pressure. So your relative pressure needs to go up as you go up in elevation. The important thing in pressure canning is to get the internal temperature up to a certain level for a certain amount of time. Pressure is what controls temperature. The density of what you are canning is what controls time. A liquid like chicken broth doesn't take that long, but something dense like cream style corn takes a while, 20 minutes versus 85 minutes if my memory still works.

You do not want the pressure to drop below your minimum because it is not maintaining internal temperature then. From a safety of the food viewpoint it doesn't matter if the temperature is higher than the minimum. It may be a little overcooked but will be safe. With chili I don't think that would matter but with green beans it might. My green beans are mushy anyway.

I normally run mine one or two degrees above the minimum. It takes a while to stabilize so I want that margin of error once I start counting time. Remember that pressure is a minimum. It's not always easy to get it to stabilize where I want it too so I want that margin.

That rocker arm is designed to let off steam to keep the pressure from getting too high. Before I run a batch I look through that tube it sits on (look at a window through it for light) to make sure it is clear, I don't want it plugged. If it looks plugged I blow through it to clear it, never been a problem. That "knob" I see on the photo is what we call a pop-off valve. We used those a lot around pressure equipment in the oil patch. If for whatever reason the pressure gets too high that is designed to pop off and relieve the pressure before the canner explodes. It will scare the crap out of you and the steam coming out is dangerously hot but the pot will not explode and destroy your kitchen or fill you with shrapnel. You deal with hot stuff when frying or boiling food, With that rocker arm and pop off valve I don't consider pressure canning any more dangerous than taking something out of a hot oven. Probably less dangerous. I burn myself too often taking stuff out of the oven, usually on my wrist.

So what is your elevation above sea level?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
GREAT to know. Thx!! :hugs:hugs:hugs
I have mastered hot water bath canning for tomatoes, for fruits and for jelly, bc my old jar produce opens up fresh and tasty.
If I don't start out right with the pressure canner, the time I am spending is wasted.
Btw, the only salt in that chili is from bottled chili sauce. The chili's actual sauce is 2/3 tomato puree and spices.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put a half teaspoon of no iodine salt in each pint and a teaspoon in each quart. Not all products, but most of them. You can buy pickling salt or just get the blue box of Morton's salt with no iodine.

I am very proud of you. You have opened up a whole new world for yourself. I can chicken and make broth to can too.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
D'AWWW!!! :love
I DO have pickling salt. Good thought. Trying VERY HARD to keep salt out of DH's diet, bc of his heart. Truthfully, HE said the chili Needed salt. I didn't think so. I hardly EVER add salt to anything on my plate.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
D'AWWW!!! :love
I DO have pickling salt. Good thought. Trying VERY HARD to keep salt out of DH's diet, bc of his heart. Truthfully, HE said the chili Needed salt. I didn't think so. I hardly EVER add salt to anything on my plate.

we don't add salt to much of what we cook here and i'm used to it and think that things like dressings, tomatoes, cheeses and meats have enough salt already. when i do eat anything with extra salt i really notice it. most prepped food from the stores or restaurants are usually loaded with salt and i notice that right away.

someone i know used to put salt on salads, i'd never seen anyone do that before. now they have had heart surgery and the docs said to cut down on salt.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMGosh, I have reading up on cover crops and I feel like a genius!! I have beets growing squished in between chickweed, and turnips in a thick carpet.
Although I want to build up boxes for them this next week, and cover with plastic when it gets too cold, to extend their seasons, along with the oats, I should have a very nice cover for my Spring planting!

Latest posts