Ducks Ragtag 2019 gardening

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You took away my surprise. I have a Kubota Compact (Not Sub-Compact) tractor being delivered today!!!!! :weee:weee:weee:weee:weee
It will have the bucket (shovel) and a pull behind bush hogger. I was going to order a diesel plug in. The salesman told me that he moves tractors with a "glo plug" (I Think that's what it's called) when it is like -10 below with no problem. They are fully exposed to the west winds. Mine is going to be living where I used to keep my 1993 Dodge Cummins truck, so it should fit nicely with the impelments and also be out of the weather.
I researched John Deere Compact Tractors, Mahindra Compact Tractors, and the Kubota. John Deere are the most expensive and it is unclear whether the engines for them are still manufactured by a company named Yanmar. I talked to LOTS of unrelated tractor people in the last 5 years, mostly running into people at my assigned loan closings. One of them used to sell John Deere and did NOT recommend their compact tractors. He said that Kubota makes a better machine and would be the best choice for me.
Mahindra is manufactured in India. Online comments talk about the mishmash of engineering. Some parts are excellent, some are WTFudge were they thinking?!!?
I have heard at least 5 testimonials, here and from local friends, so I am feeling pretty good.
This machine will eliminate my need to clean up the burdock like I am doing this week, before I let my horses out on the south pasture again. I know this, bc just our riding mower has controlled the burdock and other weeds that I have been cleaning up in both the north pasture AND behind the barn. Also, the mower deck is 60" (5 ft), pulls from behind so it will ride over any bumps, instead of getting stuck like when you Drive over tough places. It is SUPPOSED to cut up to 3" saplings, but I don't believe that your mower should have to do this. Instead, you should be using a reciprocating saw, or your chainsaw. Besides, my horses Eat saplings down, so they ones that survive are under the fencelines and I have been dealing with them there. The weeds it will cut down are very wet and often hollow. They burn very nicely on a pile of tinder, even when just cut/pulled.
FYI, we have the funds to buy this outright, but were offered NO $incentive, so we will start on payments in November of ~$350.00/month, 0% on 60 months, no pre-payment penalty.
The salesman who also sells the really big CASE IH farm equipment, will be delivering and showing us how to operate this today at 1PM. He is bringing some grease guns and I am taking my camera out to take pictures of where to grease and how. I intend to be reLIGIOUS about this, AND about changing the oil.
We get one year warranty on all parts, and a 6 year warranty on the drive train, with the option to extend this warranty. The tank holds 12 gallons diesel. Since I have owned a diesel truck since 1993 I know not to mix up the gasoline. It is supposed to run for 15 hours on one tank of gas. HOURS are the key to the warranties, so if you buy used, hours have already been burned through for the warranties.
Got 1/2 of my hay Saturday, and already been criticized for not buying a John Deere.
I keep thinking of jobs to use it for to lighten my work load AND it will run in the winter. Your basic riding mower doesn't like the cold. Neither does a diesel engine, but diesel engines don't overheat as easily, and I have experience There, too. Still, I will super cautious. You never want to put a mower or tractor away hot in it's storage building in case, like for me, straw, hay or pine shavings touch a hot engine.
I am expecting to have to clear the drive from snow at least Once this winter. Should be fun!
DH plans to mow with it this afternoon.
Yes, Virginia, there Will be pictures!:cool:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
How exciting! You sure did your homework and I love that about you. Just being a city girl I still think you made a fantastic decision. I'm so happy for you that a lot of those big heavy jobs are now going to be so much easier and shorter.

Are you going to name her? It? Him?

Can't wait for pictures.

Mary

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new tractor! Having one, even a little one, will make maintaining your place so much easier. I think now that I am no longer a teenager with boundless energy I wouldn't keep horses without one.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kubota Tractor, 10-15-19, #1 (3).JPG
Here it is!!
Kubota Tractor, 10-15-19, #1 (1).JPG
It all fits in the Lodge very nicely. Disappointed that the pull behind brush hogger was shipped to the wrong store. MAYBE we will get it on Friday??? Notice that the roll bar tips down to fit under the door. LOTS of features that are mechanical but not battery powered. BUT, the shovel (Bucket) is operated by hydraulics AND you can take it off and put it on sitting in the seat. Great safety feature!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
congrats! i hope you are happy together for many years. :)

all fittings that need to be greased or maintained should be in the manual too. always good winter reading.

and while i'm thinking of it. check if there are any gaps you have to worry about mice getting into... like, i never expected a mouse to try to make a nest in my air filter of my car... i had to put some wire mesh over that air inlet and the buggers also got into the hood frame, so i had to seal those holes up with foam insulation gunk that wouldn't melt in the heat.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new machine Ducks! You will wonder how you ever managed without it. I think you'll have such a great time operating it and finding stuff to do with all the spare time it's going to give you. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am sure that you are right!! SO far, I have had DH drive it, I point to what I need moved and where it goes and he drives it there. We moved 4 loads of logs cut in 2018 to my firepit for burning at Salsa 9: Punny!!
Great party and we started the fire in the early afternoon so that we would have good coals. Kids kept adding to the fire, and it was FULL of coals by the time we called it quits at midnight.
DH is keeping running entries of what we did and the counter, and we put it away when we are done. One of the couples arrived when DH was driving out the east gate to the street to get back to the barn, so he gave them both a ride on the bucket. Why not?!?!?
ALready glad that I have it.
Both SIL's DH and SIL think it's a great machine and had some good pointers. I told them both to give me advice. The first knows about machinery, and used to teach shop AND has a smallish tractor for snow removal. SIL drives a tractor for the family business (digging occasional graves) and was very impressed with the capabilities. DH, as you know, has had heart problems and this machine enables him to do things that he cannot do, and probably didn't WANT to do as manual labor, but the tractor makes the jobs fun and we can share, so, again, it's worth it.

Latest posts